Occupational Therapy at School

Hello everyone,

My son , aged 8, was diagnosed on the Autistic Spectrum in August, although we have always known that he is.  One area that is of real benefit to him, is Occuaptional Therapy, which is helping resolve some sensory issues that he has.  

Our problem is getting the school on board. While they are happy to recognise he has sensory needs, they will not implement our sensory diet in school. We are getting a lot of lip service and recognition of his needs, but nothing concrete to help him throughout the day.  These are simple things such as stretches, carrying, blowing, jumping and bouncing etc.  He should do them at set times of day.   

Does anyone else follow a sensory diet? and how does your school implement it? are they on board with it? or does your child manage it himself?

Parents
  • If your child is following a special diet surely providing it as a packed lunch would ensure he has it ( this is how we cover it) if child is having school meals normally it is set menu options. 

Not sure what you are meaning by sensory diet, not something I have come across so sorry if I am not much help. As for the sensory exercises my daughter is also about the same age she has learnt a routine of these that she does at playtime and lunchtime would that be an option ? 

• If your child is following a special diet surely providing it as a packed lunch would ensure he has it ( this is how we cover it) if child is having school meals normally it is set menu options. 

Not sure what you are meaning by sensory diet, not something I have come across so sorry if I am not much help. As for the sensory exercises my daughter is also about the same age she has learnt a routine of these that she does at playtime and lunchtime would that be an option ? 

Children
No Data