Anyones Opinions please

Hi im new to this but I think my son my have autism. I noticed his behavior changed before he turned one he is now 3. He stopped saying mum dad at 8 months and ever since has had speech delay who i seen a therapist once for not heard anything since but hes slowly getting there. Sorry I'm trying to keep this short. I took him to the doctors a few times over the past year as he has traits . His behaviour is difficult to deal with and his understanding is slow too. He is obsessive over things which change. He also loves drawing hr was really good considering he just turned 3 and now he doesn't want anything to do with it . The nursery are rhe only ones who seemed to believe me( playing alone at nursery, biting other children)   so he was referred for a nuerodevelopment assesment which he was rejected for as he didnt meet requirements.

Theres a lot more but I just dont know where to go from here as he does need help . Just want to do what's best for my wee boy and help him.  I also have a one year old and 4 year old who are completely different . Another thing is bed time doesn't seem to matter to him like he cant switch off and wind down. 

Anyones thoughts are much appreciated thank you x

Parents
  • I would say it is worth pursuing, keep behaviour logs and sleep journals get nursery to put their concerns in writing keep the rejection letter and then go back to the gp with it all and tell them they were wrong to reject as he still has a problem, show them the evidence you gather and get them to refer again it can be a painfully slow process but if you complain enough they should help.

We are currently in the process of doing this for our daughter I understand the frustration and anger when no one else seems to see the problem and all you want to do is help your child. 

Have you tried talking to your health visitor they may also have access to services 

• I would say it is worth pursuing, keep behaviour logs and sleep journals get nursery to put their concerns in writing keep the rejection letter and then go back to the gp with it all and tell them they were wrong to reject as he still has a problem, show them the evidence you gather and get them to refer again it can be a painfully slow process but if you complain enough they should help.

We are currently in the process of doing this for our daughter I understand the frustration and anger when no one else seems to see the problem and all you want to do is help your child. 

Have you tried talking to your health visitor they may also have access to services 

Children
  • Thank you for your advice :) I will do this. As when I try to explain I dont know where to start. I will keep a note of things. I know it sounds like typical toddler behaviour but a lot of it isn't . Thanks for taking the time to help I didn't know what to do when he got turned down for the assesment and then the last doc I i seen tlsaid he was to young  to tell. The health visitor was at the meeting at nursery when he was being referred but now I have a different health visitor for some reason and havent heard from the old one. 

I hope you get somewhere soon with your little one too