Coping with Asperger's for OAP's

I am sure there must be some in Gloucestershire or close by.

Parents
  • My Dad (71) is undoubtedly autistic, but is undiagnosed.  I am going through diagnosis now.  He lives in Newent, I’m in Dursley.

• I also live close to Dursley and 71, and i know what its all about now, after being diagnosed and learning all about Asperger's. I really only found out after i was made redundant as my structure in life had gone, I hope your dad get sorted and if he is there are people to help and one thing i want is to be able to communicate better, without seemingly being OTT. I get so focused on subjects. Wish him well

• I understand what you mean about wanting to communicate better without people thinking you're OTT. I struggle with this too. There are some situations in which it seems perfectly acceptable - even desirable - to be very focused on specific subjects. That's why I like going to classic car shows, visiting open gardens and talking to experts in almost any field! I feel more comfortable there than I do in most social situations. Are there any classic car clubs near to you? We're thinking of starting one in our village. My husband is quite sociable and would be good at organising it. 

• Prescott hill Climb and the Bugatti club both at Prescott but separate charities (google them both) i am a member of both. But i also go to other vintage events around the country i used to go with my mate Ted but he died Feb 4th this year so tend not to go. Sorry to say, i would if i had someone to go with. Still looking for someone who would be interested a friend called John an ex RAF pilot sometime comes as he is interested in steam the canals and canal boats both which i am a member of. so its looking up, i am like an anorak with knowledge, OTT and boring.

but i am also 'very trying' in all sense of the word.

I used to run huge businesses from 1962 to 2001 but one stopped being 'the boss' found life difficult.

I also love gardens that's my mum's effect working on me she won 3rd prize one year at Chelsea Flower Show.

• Prescott hill Climb and the Bugatti club both at Prescott but separate charities (google them both) i am a member of both. But i also go to other vintage events around the country i used to go with my mate Ted but he died Feb 4th this year so tend not to go. Sorry to say, i would if i had someone to go with. Still looking for someone who would be interested a friend called John an ex RAF pilot sometime comes as he is interested in steam the canals and canal boats both which i am a member of. so its looking up, i am like an anorak with knowledge, OTT and boring.

but i am also 'very trying' in all sense of the word.

I used to run huge businesses from 1962 to 2001 but one stopped being 'the boss' found life difficult.

I also love gardens that's my mum's effect working on me she won 3rd prize one year at Chelsea Flower Show.

Children
No Data