Undiagnosed ASD

I’m a 68 years old female.

Until recently I would never have thought I had ASD but I recently saw the Documentary on TV about Autism and it was like turning a light bulb on my life. I fit into many of the categories ie small talk, excessive planning, sensory problems, blunt, alone time, meltdowns, hate large gatherings, failed relationships and sexual abuse, and ANXIETY in all things. I have multiple chronic health problems which I’ve been told are stress related. 

Im wondering if much of this was missed because I have a natural talent for acting.  Ive been a Professional Actress and a Drama Teacher. If you were to ask many people who know me they would say that I’m a confident, outgoing, talented woman.....who dresses the part. When I go out I’m I’m fully made up and glamorously dressed.  However I’ve been saying for a few years now that “ playing Jane” is exhausting.  At home I can’t be bothered. I would wear my Kaftan all day and no makeup if it was up to me. I do make the effort some days for my husbands sake. 

Life has got much more difficult as I’ve got older with more health problems. My blood pressure is out of control at the moment. I usually plan our holidays meticulously but in September I let my husband plan the holiday we were going on with two close friends. What a disaster! I had a meltdown and ruined the holiday for all. He hadn’t planned it to my satisfaction. I realise now after watching a couple of videos by Sarah Hendrickx that I should not have agreed to that situation. I identified so much of my life with hers.

im trying to come to terms with this, as yet undiagnosed, situation. Thinking how different life would have been had I known when I was younger. I’m seeing GP next week and will talk to her. I’m thinking of asking for medication Fluoxetine as I’m so sensitive at the moment. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Parents
  • Playing Jane is exhausting and in some ways as an undiagnosed woman I could also call myself an actress.. but only of amateur proportions. 

Welcome to the forum. There are good, kind, and understanding folk here. Kafkans accepted and make up and masks not an entry requirement 

p.s been referred for an assessment by my GP

• Playing Jane is exhausting and in some ways as an undiagnosed woman I could also call myself an actress.. but only of amateur proportions. 

Welcome to the forum. There are good, kind, and understanding folk here. Kafkans accepted and make up and masks not an entry requirement 

p.s been referred for an assessment by my GP

Children