confused mum

hi im new to this but i have a 2 1/2 year old boy which has been recently started nursery and weve been having meeting straigh t away from his nursery teachers concerned about his development and they way he walks and asked if he was austisic.

we have always know he has been walking and running on his tip toes since he could walk and we have been to appointments about his feet another one is his speech he doesnt comunicate with others at all he barely says anything to us which we have been trying to encourge his words but he just grunts and growls and somethimes get very angry and frustrated

i just want a little help if anyone can give me some advise on this

• As Graham has said other parents of atutstic children reported walking on toes, My son did so for a time intermittenly, when he was older he also walked with his feet splayed out for no apparent reason, he has never seen any Charlie Chaplin films, an actor who copied an autistic man's behavoirs at the turn of the last century.. These were just phases in his development, stretching a boundary of what is possible to the limit. His Walk has been normal ever since.

As regards speech my son did not say anything as far as I can remember until 3.5 years, Other than crying, his first sound was not MM or  Da but Caw Caw copying the Crows when he was in the garden . next was Da much to my wife's dissapointment and only MMM for Mum much later.  When he actually made  two or three speech sounds it was a noted event. If you google "Einstein early speech" you will see this man is reputed not to speak until 4 years old.  

Your son must be trying really hard to overcome his inability to communicate to you, that must be very frustrating to him. His grunting must be regarded as his best effort to date. try  be positive and praise him when he tries and only obtains a grunt as he relies on you.