I need advice following a casual comment from my toddler's nursery...

Hi, I'm new. New to this forum and new to thinking about autism beyond what I've seen on tv or heard on the radio.

I have a 2.5yr old son. Talking to his key stage worker (KSW) at his nursery yesterday I asked what they mean when they say "you know what he's like". What is he like? I asked. We only have one child so I have no frame of reference.

His KSW casually said that my son can have emotional reactions to situations which are disproportionate considering his good language/communication skills, and that can be a sign that he is on the autism spectrum.

He said it was 'something to look out for' or 'keep an eye on', I forget which. 

So now I'm trying not to project this throwaway comment onto him and I'm frankly a bit confused about what to look out for and how to look out for it and what to do if I notice it. 

My son is generally a happy, affectionate, articulate little boy. Should I just forget the conversation or will I potentially help him in the long run by assuming he may be on the spectrum?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Tim.

Parents
  • As autism is a spectrum condition your son could be autistic but demonstrate his autistic tendencies more subtlety. For example, I was diagnosed at age 33 and my younger brother is starting the assessment process at age 28. If you look back now there are lots of moments when both of us demonstrated autistic tendencies as children but because these weren't strong enough to cause major issues at school, and my mum didn't know anything about autism, so we didn't receive any support or caused anyone any concern.

It sounds like a sensible to go back to this person and for further clarification.

• Thank you that's useful context 

Reply Children
No Data