I need advice following a casual comment from my toddler's nursery...

Hi, I'm new. New to this forum and new to thinking about autism beyond what I've seen on tv or heard on the radio.

I have a 2.5yr old son. Talking to his key stage worker (KSW) at his nursery yesterday I asked what they mean when they say "you know what he's like". What is he like? I asked. We only have one child so I have no frame of reference.

His KSW casually said that my son can have emotional reactions to situations which are disproportionate considering his good language/communication skills, and that can be a sign that he is on the autism spectrum.

He said it was 'something to look out for' or 'keep an eye on', I forget which. 

So now I'm trying not to project this throwaway comment onto him and I'm frankly a bit confused about what to look out for and how to look out for it and what to do if I notice it. 

My son is generally a happy, affectionate, articulate little boy. Should I just forget the conversation or will I potentially help him in the long run by assuming he may be on the spectrum?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Tim.

Parents
  • Unless he flickers his hands in front of his eyes, or just abnormally wave his hands, insist on only the same certain foods, or perhaps screaming or vomiting results, As the father of an autistic son, who had no verbal communication at all at 3.5, and did not relate to other siblings, parents, or others. and you personally realise he was not "normal",and take him to your doctor. Sounds to me he is a normal child, of a parent who has to leave him with others to go to work, He probably feels threatened being in such a physically weak position at 2.5 years old, how else is he going to communicate displeasure. Make a fuss of him is my suggestion.

• Unless he flickers his hands in front of his eyes, or just abnormally wave his hands, insist on only the same certain foods, or perhaps screaming or vomiting results, As the father of an autistic son, who had no verbal communication at all at 3.5, and did not relate to other siblings, parents, or others. and you personally realise he was not "normal",and take him to your doctor. Sounds to me he is a normal child, of a parent who has to leave him with others to go to work, He probably feels threatened being in such a physically weak position at 2.5 years old, how else is he going to communicate displeasure. Make a fuss of him is my suggestion.

Children
  • “Not Normal ?”

I take offence at the use of your word and how you use it.

”sounds to me he is a child, (of a parent who has to leave him with others to go to work)”.

Why on earth would you presume such a thing?

there is no mention of him being left with others, therefore yet again your expert knowledge of all things to do with all autistic children is wrong. Your son is one individual, he is not at the age of thirty a representation of how a young child would present now.

• Unless he flickers his hands in front of his eyes, or just abnormally wave his hands, insist on only the same certain foods, or perhaps screaming or vomiting results, As the father of an autistic son, who had no verbal communication at all at 3.5, and did not relate to other siblings, parents, or others.

This may well have been your son’s presentation, but it is certainly not the only way that a young child with autism may present, so please don’t imply that it is (as it can cause confusion for those unfamiliar with the condition).