I strongly suspect I have a misdiagnosis of BPD rather than Asperger's?!

My family had no previous awareness of ASD until our Daughter was referred to CAMHS, due to severe anxiety and school refusal. She has been assessed and is now diagnosed with Asperger's amongst other things.

The thing is I am diagnosed with BPD, GAD and Depression, yet the more my daughter and I learn about Asperger's in females, the more convinced we are that I actually have Asperger's and not BPD. Is this possible? 

I doubt MH team would take me seriously in any case. But I can't help thinking about what my daughter said to me after her Psych and psychologist explained the traits of Asperger's to us in a meeting one day. We were walking out from the meeting and she said......"Mum I think you qualify as having ASD more than I do".  I didn't tell her that I was already thinking the same thing. 

My daughter reminds me so much of me from an early age, the crippling anxiety, learning to mimick and mask, amongst all other ASD traits. 

I have finally recognisd most of my overload triggers just through learning more about ASD. I actually don't feel like such a stranger in a world Grinningof people who i could never fit in with.  For once in my whole 38 years of life I feel as though can relate to other people, those who have ASD Grinning

Parents
  • Hello

It is possible and I think quite common in females.

I was initially misdiagnosed with BPD on the basis of self-harm, and was later diagnosed with ASD but have recently had the BPD reversed by a psychiatrist who recognised that self-harm can be a way to cope with ASD and he could not see any other evidence of BPD.

It can have an impact on which services you can access so might be worth getting it checked out if you do ever need mental health help. Before I was blocked from mental health support because of the BPD diagnosis, but now I can access support when I need it.

• Hello

It is possible and I think quite common in females.

I was initially misdiagnosed with BPD on the basis of self-harm, and was later diagnosed with ASD but have recently had the BPD reversed by a psychiatrist who recognised that self-harm can be a way to cope with ASD and he could not see any other evidence of BPD.

It can have an impact on which services you can access so might be worth getting it checked out if you do ever need mental health help. Before I was blocked from mental health support because of the BPD diagnosis, but now I can access support when I need it.

Children
  • Hi, I'm going to my GP to ask for a referral for assessment because frustratingly I have given up on my local CMHT.  

I would appreciate any advice of how to approach the subject of referral for assessments to my GP?

The problem is I usuall become so overwhelmed by anxiety in appointments that I just go completely blank, have trouble communicating my symptoms verbally, then can think of nothing else than how the professional who is sitting in front of me with glaring eyes, are making me feel more uncomfortable and I just want to get out of the room asap!