Hi New to Forum

Hi everyone my son is 15 and autistic. He received his diagnosis last October 2017. Unfortunately he still will not accept it and gives me a hard time over it at times. He seems to use the diagnosis at times if he does something he will say well its because you say I'm autistic! I am really struggling with him and do not have support from my husband. He relies on me for everything, if something is wrong its my fault for not understanding or its my fault he cannot concentrate because I wont buy Modafinil online to help him concentrate in school.

He has GCSE coming up and is really struggling with tiredness and lack of concentration. He will not accept the help in school. (also has diagnosis for chronic fatigue which they said may not be correct as that was diagnosed at 8-9 year old)

He hides his autism well in school as he has a small group of friends who he has known from primary school and they no he has a laugh but is also very quiet in class etc. He tends to bubble up and stress when at home which I'm told he conforms to what's expected of him in school and then releases when in safe environment at home. I am finding things extremely difficult as I know he is stressed with things but he wont revise he wont conform and then I have my husband who is unfortunately not with me on things. (I'm sure he is autistic he's very demanding too!)

I'm wondering about when he leaves school that he would be better off in a apprenticeship that is what he wants, but he said I cannot tell them he is autistic (high functioning) that I will ruin his life, but on the other hand I'm not sure he will even pass a interview because he has severe social anxiety when with not with people he knows until he gets to know them then he will be fine. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions because I'm not sure what I am doing or going to do for the best. 

Got many things going on at the moment and life is certainly not easy my daughter is 13 and difficult regarding my son as he rejects her constantly and when young they were very close and he relied on her before high school then he rejected her and she now just argues with him and says I favour him! 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

A

Parents
  • Hi NAS39127

As well as looking to the Parent to Parent Service that Graham kindly linked to, we also have a helpline which you may find useful?

You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice . You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform - https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Hope this helps,

Nicky-Mod

• Hi NAS39127

As well as looking to the Parent to Parent Service that Graham kindly linked to, we also have a helpline which you may find useful?

You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice . You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform - https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Hope this helps,

Nicky-Mod

Children
No Data