Going through ASD testing ATM

Hi there,

My name is Alison, I am mummy to Adam, who is 7 and is awaiting his ASD appointment, which we have been told takes up to ten months! Which is all very nice bhas these people   Probably have never had a child on the floor of a supermarket!!

I have come on here for any hints, tips or just a shoulder really, sometimes it all gets a bit on top of myself and my husband, while we know there is 'something wrong' not having that diagionis yet, we feel bad about asking for help.

Thanks Alison and andrew

• Hi Tuesday Club Girl,

Just been searching for food phobia threads on the forum and your reply here cam up. I have three sons, two have extreme food phobias (eldest is turning 9 and has a diagnosis of ASD/Aspergers; and my middle son has SPD). How are you getting on?

• Hi everyone
    I've just joined the community and am seeking help for my 15 year old son. He has just been diagnosed with Aspergers ad really wants to get over his food phobia. He hasn't been invited to a party or social activity for many years and, although he recognises that he doesn't cope well in groups, he recognises that a significant challenge for him is that he doesn't eat 'normally'. He has a small range of dry food that he eats each day (no vegetables and very little of anything that isn't beige). We went to see the community peadiatric team who diagnosed him with Aspergers and just pointed us in the direction of Autism websites to help to sort out his food issues.

He would like to be more 'normal' around his eating habits to help gain acceptance at school. Anyone got any suggestions about how I can help him to extend his range of foods? He used to retch when he was younger if a new food was introduced (even if it was put on his plate). I now understand that this is due to his heightened sense of smell and taste. If you have any suggestions re: how to start introducing new food types, that would be wonderful.

• hi faith, a good book to start with is freaks,geaks and aspergers available at waterstones,it was the first book of now many that i read. my daughter was diagnosed last year after 10 years of me saying that there is nothing wrong with my child , its the rest of the world! which to a certain extent i still think that, but when things took a turn for the worse and my daughter got out of control at home,with major meltdowns and yes biting,punching etc i was not coping with it so well! our paediatrition put us onto local groups which do special days out etc although my daughter still insists that these events are too noisy , smelly,uncomfortable etc , i cant win, people say it never gets better it just changes!

• Hi

my son is 5 and i have finally got his diagnosis of autism and possible ADD (after 3 years of fighting). At our first paediatrician app we were dismissed because my son CAN talk (constantly), he CAN look you in the eye, he CAN use facial expressions and he loves everyone (too much).                                                                        Life for us can be horrible 80% of the week and absolute heaven the remainder 20%.    I found visual timetables work fantastic and if tailored for the individual child and it answers all the constant questions my son bombards me with and relieves his anxiety about the day.                                                                                               Because of my sons difficulties he cant cope in your 'average' out of school groups, does anyone have any suggestions on suitable organisations to approach? Or any books about autism?                                                                                                      How do you deal with people staring at you or tutting while you are trying to calm your child down and avoid being bitten, spat on or head butted?

• Hello Alison,

I am sorry to hear of your problems and just wanted to say that this is one place where you will never need to feel bad. You are among friends. Most of us who post on these forums not only know about being on the Austism Spectrum but actually live with Autism in one form or another. I wish you and Adam well. 

• Hi Alison i have just joined tonight, as i am having so much difficulty with ronan 6 next month one of a twin.

I know that feeling on a supermarket floor and when you deal with your child you get slapped kicked and punched, he is now to big for me to handle.    I ignore all the total ignorant people who think we are bad parents, when we are over worked challenged people.  I now see a child behaving badly in all asprcts of the day and now feel for the parent, then the child as the child knows no better.

You will get your diagnosise soon, its a lable we do not want, but it helps, as you get help, and people understand more, all the best its hard work.

Hi there,

My name is Alison, I am mummy to Adam, who is 7 and is awaiting his ASD appointment, which we have been told takes up to ten months! Which is all very nice bhas these people   Probably have never had a child on the floor of a supermarket!!

I have come on here for any hints, tips or just a shoulder really, sometimes it all gets a bit on top of myself and my husband, while we know there is 'something wrong' not having that diagionis yet, we feel bad about asking for help.

Thanks Alison and andrew

[/quote]

• Hi Alison and Andrew,

Welcome to the forums, and don't feel bad, about anything, let alone asking for help.

Unfortunately yes, getting a proper, full, diagnosis can take some time, and you should be aware that though a diagnosis will open doors to getting support, it still isn't going to be easy.

But, the good news is, you've come to the right place! There are both parents and, like myself, people on the spectrum here who are more than willing to offer advice on anything we can.

Oh, and people from the NAS who will be able to point you in the direction of any specific resources that might be of use.