Hi. Informally diagnosed person here

Hello everyone,

I found my way on here by searching some of my issues online and the only things I really found were forum posts.

My name is Jon and I am 35 from London. 

I always felt a bit different and had been told I was a bit 'unique' throughout my life. It wasn't until a few turbulent years, when I should some counselling help, that the idea of autism was even in my mind. I thought I was just a quiet and solitary person. I knew I had communication issues. I just never understood why people found me so frustrating. I couldn't say names, say I feel, say what I want. Just a quiet and stressed mass who always just wanted to get away.

I've had some Counselling by both NHS and private analysts and both have floated the idea of me being somewhere on the spectrum. I have such mixed feelings about being diagnosed and tested.

Really wondering how other people found being tested and diagnosed. Was it useful? Did it help?

Thanks for reading

Parents
  • Hi Jon and welcome. I’ve found being diagnosed liberating. I can understand myself better and stop trying to be “normal” (whatever that is!) I am clear on what I can change in myself and what I can’t. Also it’s helping other people to tolerate me better! 

It’s not easy to get the assessment on the NHS, but possible. If you feel you would benefit from a formal diagnosis, go for it. Otherwise explore forums like this and read relevant books etc. and draw your own conclusions. You are welcome here whatever you decide. 

• Hi Jon and welcome. I’ve found being diagnosed liberating. I can understand myself better and stop trying to be “normal” (whatever that is!) I am clear on what I can change in myself and what I can’t. Also it’s helping other people to tolerate me better! 

It’s not easy to get the assessment on the NHS, but possible. If you feel you would benefit from a formal diagnosis, go for it. Otherwise explore forums like this and read relevant books etc. and draw your own conclusions. You are welcome here whatever you decide. 

Children
No Data