Adult Autism

Hello. 

I have earlier this year received a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Condition (following a diagnosis of Dyslexia only a few months prior to the Autistic Spectrum Condition). I have  a full time job in a Profession that I have worked within the same Profession for many years (almost 40 years). I have an adult son who was diagnosed with O.D.D. and A.D.H.D. (American Diagnostic Manual (but he did not 'fit' the European Hyperkensis Manual Criterion), later he was diagnosed as being severely Dyslexic. He is now in his third year at University. I on the other hand have been trying to reach University  requirements to continue pursuing a career pathway, not easy later in life.

Is there anyone out there experiencing similar difficulties? If so, can you share how you have been able to over come the difficulties?

NAS38938

• You say that your son is in his third year at University. That's good that he is pursuing higher education! Anyway, it would be a good time to use the resources available at university to learn how to overcome these difficulties. I think the Careers Centre should have lots of information on finding jobs that may be suitable. The Disability Resource Centre may also have lots of advice on transitioning from school to a career later in life.