Hello there...

I'm Mat and I'm going to admit right upfront that I am not from the UK, neither from any other country belonging to the Commonwealth, the Crown or even that uses English as their main language. I hope you guys don't mind and let me exist here. You see, I love the British Isles and it's always been sort of one of my special interests. Also, I have a small garden where I love to sit and sip tea from triangular bags from a Union Jack-mug while listening to The Jam. I think it can hardly get anymore fake British, now can it?

But that's not the main reason I chose to register here on this forum. You see, where I live, in Germany, anything Autism-related is so terribly underwhelming and underdeveloped. I actually wrote plenty of eMails to some of the Autism organizations, asking them to do more than the bare minimum in exchange for the probably interesting subventions they get but conversations stop after a single eMail exchange, two at most. It's disheartening.

So I'm taking the liberty of taking refuge here. I've shown this site to many people as an example of how I would love Autism awareness to be present online but we are very, very far from that. So I hope nobody takes offense at my presence as a refugee. I promise to be well-behaved.

• Hello and welcome! That is pretty disheartning to say the least. I'd expect Germany to be more Autism-friendly.

Sipping tea and listening to the Jam is pretty British. I'd also recommend sipping Bovril and listening to the Style Council.

• Perhaps I'll get active and try to roll out my own initiative but my condition makes it very hard because that would mean having to overcome a lot of barriers that seem incredibly high to me.

Do tell more about the barriers. Internal barriers or external ones? I can't seem to organise my way out of a paper bag, and may be wrong in ascribing all the responsibility to myself.

The monthly social group might not be bad. That's about the general level of services in the UK, I find. They should fix the problem with presentation and representation though.

• Hey Emma. Germany certainly has some nice sides but when it comes to care for any sort of underprivileged group, things are unfortunately not so great over here. Imagine, I have something that calls itself "Autism Center" right at the end of my street but I've never set foot in it because their focus is 99% on children (or rather white boy aged around 5 to 10), which is also what they clearly express through their website, despite the fact that they pretend to offer services for any gender or generation. It's disheartening and infuriating. I already wrote them 2 eMails, explaining how discriminatory their self-presentation is but they decided to ignore me after a short answer stating that they were orientated towards all autistic persons and that they organized a meeting for autistic adults once a month, with different activities. What a joke, really.

But see for yourself if you whish: www.autismus-aachen.de/.../startseite

But I'm not here to get upset. Perhaps I'll get active and try to roll out my own initiative but my condition makes it very hard because that would mean having to overcome a lot of barriers that seem incredibly high to me.

Anyway, nice to be here Slight smile

• Welcome Mat!

Coincidentally, one of my best friends IRL is German! Germany always sounded like a really nice place to live but it's a shame to hear your autism services don't pass muster. Disappointed May have to reconsider my Brexit escape plan. Wink

• I think it can hardly get anymore fake British, now can it?

Hmm. Not sure about the triangular tea-bags.

Welcome all the same.