Advice to help my autistic son with swimming

Hello,

I have two sons who are autistic. My eldest son is 10 and is finding swimming lessons very stressful at the moment. He has a diagnosis of high functioning moderate autism and he has a lot of processing difficulties. 

We have tried other clubs (beavers, football, chess, pottery) all of which he found extremely stressfull so I stopped sending him. We have told him however that swimming is for safety so he has to learn to swim. 

He hasn’t had lessons (apart from school) for some time so we’ve put him in to one to one lessons. It is just him, his brother and sister each with a teacher in the pool and me watching. It is much quieter and calmer than his old lessons but he is still getting stressed about going.

I’d love to hear from others in the autistic community who have had similar experiences either with swimming or other activities that are stressful for them, and find out what they found helped them to cope better. What can I do as a parent to make him feel better about it? 

Parents
  • Slightly off subject, but I love swimming, and I get frustrated.  I am member of a nice club with a pool, but if I go swimming and people are in the swimming lanes, I just get anxious and end up going home.  I love having the pool to myself.

• Slightly off subject, but I love swimming, and I get frustrated.  I am member of a nice club with a pool, but if I go swimming and people are in the swimming lanes, I just get anxious and end up going home.  I love having the pool to myself.

Children
No Data