Employment adult aspergers

My son is 27 . He needs help to find work .he is very intelligent. He has degree in history and politics .He has applied for so many  jobs   thanks

Parents
  • Hi there, 

Is your son using the job centre? If so make sure you ask for a DEA (disability employment advisor); mine was great. They never seem to make it obvious that they exist, though- I only knew about them because my mum worked at the DWP.

What are the problems he is having, specifically? Is it applications, interviews, getting experience? 

The NAS has support services aimed at autistic adults who wish to find work but are having difficulty. https://www.autism.org.uk/services/work/work-search.aspx Do any of these look useful?

• Hi Emma, my name is Mina and I have a 23 year old son on the ASD spectrum who is unemployed.  He achieved Level 2 in Customer Support and is adamant that he wants to only work in Marks and Spencer.  He had a two week placement  through Remploy and did very well, lots of positives but needed to go away and work on his confidence.  He has done this but really don't know what to do next.  He is on ESA and still receives DLA so would it be best to go through the job centre?  I'm not sure he could cope with full time hours but, part-time, about 12 hours should be ok.   Also, I know he is putting all his eggs in one basket but I was wondering whether there are any apprenticeships in retail for those on the ASD spectrum.   I really am concerned about him as he suffers from severe stress and anxiety.  He has no friends although he is very sociable and likes to go out and has never had a girlfriend.   Anyway that's a short summary of his situation so any advice would be brilliant.  Thank you.   Mina

• Hi Mina - Your son pesumably did the two weeks training with Marks and Spencer and enjoyed what he did, so much so, he only wants to work there.  I am pleased to hear that Remploy are still going after their funding was cut years ago, as they were then employing hundreds handicapped people giving them a constant social environment.althouh on special low pay. While your son may not have any "friends",  in a friendly environment, people will like and be friendly with your son., even it is just in passing and remember him next time they see him.. If M & S tick all his boxes. I presume you may have already written and thanked M & S and Remploy and perhapse have enquired if it can be repeated. I personally would not trust any apprenticeship, for the lowest paid jobs, it is just a mechanism for the employer to obtain grants when they finish so does the job and the next person with the attached grant fills the place and so on.   He might like to do a local paper round. My son did one weekly, more as occupational Therapy, with Two Carers, or Mum and Dad, the use of the Car for 174 papers after putting in inserts can be extremely heavy and fill a car boot, getting about £10 was subsidising the Printers and taking half a day for years, it was enjoyable, but you don't meet many people. We gave it up in  the end.   

Avoid the Wharehouse Jobs such as I read about where "normal" people are exploited, or farms or agriculture which can also be dangerous especially the handicapped.near machinery. or vehicles. . 

• Thank you for your reply.   Unfortunately, Remploy no longer exists.  Good suggestions though so I will have a chat to my son.  Mina

Reply Children
No Data