Recently diagnosed

Hello All, my name is Karen, I live in County Durham within the North East. My 10yr old son has recently been diagnosed with autisim, scoring 9 out of 12 on the spectrum. 

Im having a very hard time with coping due to his behaviour. I was told about this website and thought I'd give it a go. 

Hope to hear from you all :) 

• Sorry, I'm an autistic adult and probably not the best person to comment here. Thanks for the answer. Have you had a Carer's Assessment for your own needs? Is there a local parents' group? It doesn't have to be for parents of autistic children - you may find many parents of autistic youngsters there anyway. Some will be listed in the NAS directory:

https://www.autism.org.uk/directory/browse/cid=38~aid=255.aspx

My son's behaviour has progressed this last couple of years

I presume you mean it's become harder to cope with, not easier.

have boundaries

Could you be more specific? By the way:

He uses emotional manipulation

That doesn't sound like autistic behaviour. If you believe most professionals, autistic children have delayed 'theory of mind' so wouldn't even be aware of what emotions the other person has, nor how to manipulate them.

Good luck anyway, and I hope you find support on this forum and elsewhere.

• Hello Cassandro, & thank you for commenting. His report has 12 different areas, he scored 9 out of 12 in those areas. My son's behaviour has progressed this last couple of years, he doesn't respect me, have boundaries, invades mine and my partner's privacy. He uses emotional manipulation, takes everything out of context, has no regard & completely lacks any do's and dont's. Hes very provocative.its just sooo hard & I'm at a loss as what to do. He fixates over things, recently it's been about death etc. CAMHS are aware of all of this behaviour and I just feel there's no support for myself in this. 

• Hello Karen and welcome. Please feel free to join in the discussions wherever you like on the forum, or start your own, although you might find the Parents and carers section of most interest, particularly talking about what support can be provided to your son and family.

When you say '9 out of 12' is that a list of 12 'symptoms'? Or is is from an ADOS assessment (I think that goes higher than 12)? What is it about his behaviour do you have trouble coping with?