Im new on here

Hi

I have a grandson who is 2 1/2 years old. My daughter has had concerns over his development. He struggles with eye contact, physical contact, no talking, flapping his hands. He is a bit of a loner. His sister is15 months old and she is totally opposite.

My daughter has been seeing a speach therapist and this week been to see a consulltant at the local hospital.  The Doctor has tslked about gettinh early learning involved with his nursery.

The Doctor also mentioned non verbal autism.

I feel so upset and it and dont know how to help my daughter and grandson.

Any help would be greatly welcomed

xx

Parents
  • Hi, I know how helpless you can feel but know that there are people who care about you and your family.  My son is 6 1/2 with an ASD diagnosis,  we started with some therapy when he was 3 1/2.  I would recommend working closely with the school and Dr.'s to stay informed to get your grandson all the help he may need, as well as what the school will need.  

Personally I don't recommend pushing him,  we worked very hard with eye contact and have made some great progress. My son still needs alone time and we always give it to him.  I just remind him that I am her when he needs me then walk away.  I know this is hard in school but they should give him a safe place that he can go to if he needs to be left alone.  I don't want to give to  much of my opinion or information. I do hope this helps a little.  I think you are doing a good thing by reaching out.  We need to work as a community as each child needs will differ.  

F

• Hi F

Thank you for your message

I agree with the own space and not pushing him

I am feeling really anxious about what is about to face us as a family

My daughter and I are really close and I just want to learn and understand what to do to help them 

Xx

• I know how you are feeling. I feel for my son everyday as he has to deal with small fun days that just overwhelm him. Please feel free message me or post and I am happy to listen and share my experience. It can be tough with all the information and advice from different people.  I will only say that you sound like you really love and support your little one so trust yourself above all.  I am my sons advocate, speaking up, learning, and never giving up.  Patience, love and acceptance is the best we can give to them as we try to navigate the unknown of their precious minds. x

• I know how you are feeling. I feel for my son everyday as he has to deal with small fun days that just overwhelm him. Please feel free message me or post and I am happy to listen and share my experience. It can be tough with all the information and advice from different people.  I will only say that you sound like you really love and support your little one so trust yourself above all.  I am my sons advocate, speaking up, learning, and never giving up.  Patience, love and acceptance is the best we can give to them as we try to navigate the unknown of their precious minds. x

Children
No Data