Hello new here....and a little bit of advice needed please

Hello,

I am new here - my 5 year old son was officially diagnosed with asd and adhd a few weeks back.  I have always known he is 'wired' differently so even though it was a shock to be confirmed it was not a complete surprise.  His paediatrician said mainly high functioning aspergers. Now I am lost, we have an answer but I am totally confused and feel like I don't know if I am coming or going. I have so many questions and I don't know who to ask.....so I am hoping you guys might be able to help with your own experiences.

My son is nearly 6 and pretty awesome if I do say so myself :-) he is quirky, has these amazing obsessions that he masters, he is super clever, funny and sweet.  On the other hand he is physical, picks on his sister relentlessly, rude, acts spoilt, doesn't listen etc.

I am not sure how much of his behaviour issues are down to the aspergers/asd and adhd or just bad behaviour.  Some days I think oh he is fine what were we worried about and other days it's a non stop down hill spiral. I have always assumed (should never assume I know) that aspergers is a communication issue and not behavioural, am I wrong?  He does tick all the boxes for aspergers (words of his paed), obsessions, factual, won't always look you in the eye, socially awkward as in if he knows you then fine but otherwise he acts strange, he is physical when things don't go his way, he isn't great at going to sleep, needs things to go his way.  And to be honest it changes from time to time, used to be very ritual lead and no so much now.

I think I guess I am just so confused and I don't want this to affect him in any way and I wan't to discipline him in the right way and stop losing my way.

Thanks in advance Pia

Parents
  • HI! I'm new here too and what you have described sounds a lot like my boy. He's 9 and we have only just started the process of being diagnosed. I don't know much about separating behaviour as I'm just getting to grips with it all myself but just wanted to say hi and to let you know I'm in the same boat as you and you aren't alone with the confusion!

• HI! I'm new here too and what you have described sounds a lot like my boy. He's 9 and we have only just started the process of being diagnosed. I don't know much about separating behaviour as I'm just getting to grips with it all myself but just wanted to say hi and to let you know I'm in the same boat as you and you aren't alone with the confusion!

Children
  • It's hard isn't it? One day OK next day not. I've seen a Paed for 4 years so I know they are right and I said I wld argue them to the end if they fobbed us off at the last appt but I didn't need to worry as he was clear that he ticked all the boxes for aspergers and now I'm like....nahhh. I think I need to take a break from it all and appreciate my kids.

How is your boy day to day? X