Having a nightmare with the school

Hi my 14 year daughter recently diagnosed with asd also changed school 12 months ago struggled with a lot of things so hence her attendance not 100%.

the school are constantly on my back meetings fines etc which adds too my anxiety and stress. Now I have a letter asking me to attend a panel. I’m furious feel like the school are hitting me over the head with a stick. Feel like they care more about their attendance figures than the stress I have at home and what they are putting my under. 

Feel like their is no end to it and they are making me feel frightened. What can I do? Anyone else had experience of this

• Hi Pazzy,

The National Autistic Society offers something called the Education Rights Service for people having a conflict with their child's school, or who want to know more about what legal rights they have, or who just want information and support. You can find out about this service and what it offers here: http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/education-rights.aspx

We also have a page offering advice on on resolving disagreements with a school here: http://www.autism.org.uk/about/in-education/resolving-disagreements.aspx

If you'd like to talk to someone at the NAS for general help please call the helpline on 0808 800 4104.

But in the specific situation you describe I think the best idea would be contact the Education Rights Service on 0808 800 4102. If you leave a message you should be called back within 24 hours.

Best wishes,

Ross - mod

• I do not have any experience of the school system but when I've been asked to attend meetings when I've mentally unwell I get a note from my GP to say I am unfit to attend. It also sounds like you could do with some support in the meeting, If you ring the helpline maybe the National Autistic Society can provide advice on advocacy services.

If you don't already, when your daughter is off sick for disability-related reasons, make sure that you highlight this in your absence notes as disability-related absences are often treated differently to general absences, they are in the workplace.