3 year old son may have autism

Hi everyone,

So we are in the middle of getting our little boy diagnosed atm he is pretty much non verbal just the basics hi, bye, mum and & dad etc he really is difficult when it comes to meal/snack times has anyone got the same problem? Im really worried he is going to starve, i have been trying to get him to drink vitamin drinks but even with that its hard. He is constantly getting colds and flu aswell. He is at nursery but he doesnt seem to interact with the kids there but seems to be ok during group time. Also he hates to be touched its quite hard to get him to give a hug etc although he seems to be ok with me just other family members.

Would like to know what everyone elses stories are? 

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi, I have a son who was diagnosed with autism at the age of 5. He is now 14. He was slow to reach developmental milestones such as sitting up and walking, but otherwise seemed to be developing normally, except that he didn't seem to recognise my husband and I as significant. Looking back. he seemed to be in a world of his own even then. He began talking, but at about 2 years old stopped altogether, and didn't speak again for months. When he started again, he didn't use any of the words he had previously known, and his preferred method of communication was to grunt or point at things. Sometimes he would grab my hand (without looking at me) and place it on a particular object he was interested in.

At the time, I was worried that he would never learn to talk properly. I made picture cards of drinks, food, the toilet, etc. so he could let me know what he needed by showing the picture to me, This worked quite well. Picture cards of emotions, which I also tried, were less successful. He was a huge fan of Thomas the Tank Engine as a boy, so we tried to help him to understand emotions in the context of  the programmes. (E.g. Thomas was grumpy because one of the other engines was picking on him.) When he was young, he went to a special needs school part-time and a normal pre-school the rest of the week, and had a lot of speech therapy. Gradually, things improved.

He loved being bundled up in blankets and duvets like a chrysalis, and still does. He was also OK about being hugged by family members, although now he's a teenager he isn't as keen, but I think that's pretty normal at his age.

He learned to talk and caught up with the rest of his peers during primary school. He is now at the local High School, doesn't need extra help in the classroom, but does have a card he can show to the teacher at any time which permits him to leave and go to a quiet place if he needs to. One area of concern which we are still working on is that he has a quick temper, but he is more likely to withdraw than to fight. He has a few close friends at school, and more online. On the whole, things seem to be going well. He wants to be a computer games designer when he grows up.

Best wishes from OrinocoFlo

• He wants to be a computer games designer when he grows up.

Huh. Well, there's still time, either for him to change his mind or for the games industry to start treating their resources like actual people...

https://kotaku.com/game-industry-veteran-writes-horrifying-article-in-defe-1771434170

Just sayin'...

Reply Children
No Data