Knocked sideways

Hello,

I just never expected this. As my bio alludes, life is, erm, interesting right now. Here's the short version:

My wife and I hadn't been getting on too well for a while. Everything seemed to go south when our son arrived some years back, then get steadily worse. Last December, my father died. It was expected, and a much-needed release for him. I was fine.

This year, I walked out of my job for a whole bunch of reasons, fully expecting to find something else after taking a few months off. My employer could not quite believe I was going to go through with it, and seemed to be quietly hoping I would change my mind. I have never really been out of employment before this.

Sorting through some of my Dad's old fishing tackle after the Summer made me realise I am not actually fine at all.

Suddenly, I have an AQ score of 36, have been referred by my GP, have found out within the last week that my adult son from my first marriage was diagnosed with Aspergers years ago, and tomorrow we're going to try to get our youngest checked out(!)

From my reading of the paperwork, I'm likely to get, "Congratulations, you have Aspergers! Goodbye", because I am in my forties.

Immediate questions (there will be others...):

1. What resources might help out a forty-something laggard such as myself?
  2. Any tips for helping me save my second marriage?
  3. What can my wife and I do to support our youngest? How should we approach our son's school with this?

Oh, and my handle for these forums? It's a Chinese ICBM yielding about three to five megatons, which just happened to be what was on my mind whilst I was registering with the NAS...

Parents
    • What resources might help out a forty-something laggard such as myself?
    • Any tips for helping me save my second marriage?
    • What can my wife and I do to support our youngest? How should we approach our son's school with this?

Well DongFeng

Firstly, there is a lot that you are dealing with and processing at the moment - in terms of relationships, bereavement, employment, your ASD status and your children. That is a lot for anyone so ...take it slow and be kind to yourself and your family.

In terms of supporting such a laggard as yourself - how much of your difficulties with you partner is down to the shifting sands that you are dealing with that you have found it difficult to find common ground?  You are in an unsettled period in both of your lives (and the lives of your children) and you are also dealing with, understanding, and coming to terms with so many things.  

Do you think that your marriage is really in turmoil? People deal with things in different ways and each of you are affected by these things because they have either a direct or indirect impact. I hope that there is no anger or resentment and I hope you are able to talk.  However the latter can be difficult if you are still processing what is going on to such an extent that you are not yet able to put it into words or articulate it as well as you like.

Maybe trying to unpack each issue in turn and working through what can be done, how it makes you feel, where you need help, the impact it has, and the support you need an the support you can offer.  

The following link is useful in terms of understanding a NT/ND relationship - https://musingsofanaspie.com/2012/10/22/lessons-from-an-aspergers-nt-marriage-part-1/ i don't know if it will help...but nothing ventured.....

I would also advise phoning your sons school and explain that you are seeking a referral....Speak to their SENCO team, it would also be good to use that opportunity to get feedback from his teachers about his behaviour and progress.  As a teacher myself i teach a number of ASD children and am mindful what can cause challenges and how easily some of these can be improved with the application of very simple strategies - which 9/10 also improve things for the whole class without your son feeling like the gooseberry!

In terms of relationship advice, I am glad your marriage and the health of your relationship is important to you and you realise your need to support each other.  Your honesty here says alot and I hope you are able to be this open with your partner and conversely, they with you.  

Bottom line, take what I say with a pinch of salt.  I am on marriage number 2 and my challenge at the moment is since my Aspie Epiphany (and yes, it is as painful as it sounds!) that existential "WTF" moment really cuts a focus on who you are, where you are, what you want, and what you need.  You also seek that validation and understanding from others in that they acknowledge who you are and still love you despite "coming out" as miswired.

right...this is Ellie shutting up now!

Ellie 

• , your post is quite lengthy (not a bad thing at all - I very much appreciate the effort!), and I feel it therefore deserves lengthy cogitation and a consequent response from me - so I'm afraid I am going to keep you waiting a little while longer - more from me soon! 

Thanks again.

• , your post is quite lengthy (not a bad thing at all - I very much appreciate the effort!), and I feel it therefore deserves lengthy cogitation and a consequent response from me - so I'm afraid I am going to keep you waiting a little while longer - more from me soon! 

Thanks again.

Children
No Data