Eating with Aspergers

Hello everyone, I'm wanting to live a better and healthier life but I struggle with eating different foods. All for different reasons that make it extremely hard for me to try different foods and meals. I was wondering if anyone else has a similar problem and knows how to work around it? 

Parents
  • YES! I've been underweight for 10 years and I'm finally getting some strength back. Most of my life I've eaten the same things, at the same time, with the same utensils, so I'm living proof you can push your boundaries. I'd say start small, and slowly build your way up. It may be scary at first, but you will get used to it, you just need patience. I used to only eat banana and yogurt, so a step for me was to try a different flavour yogurt, then another, then another, until I could eat all flavours. At first the tastes can seem intense, but you'll get used to it. Then I tried a little different fruit, until I could eat any type. If portion is an issue for you, build up slowly - if you have one weetabix for breakfast for example, have one and a quarter for a week, then 1 and a half the next week, then 2 the week after.

You may feel out of your comfort zone, but I'm confident you'll eventually get in to the swing of things. An issue for me was that I found it overwhelming to have more choices about what to eat. I now have a recipe box with daily plans in of what I'll eat for breakfast and lunch (I still eat exactly the same thing every day for tea, but I'm working on it!). That way, you don't have to spend time thinking and worrying about what to eat the next day; you just pick a card out and you know what you'll be eating the next day.

I hope this helps. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions :)

• YES! I've been underweight for 10 years and I'm finally getting some strength back. Most of my life I've eaten the same things, at the same time, with the same utensils, so I'm living proof you can push your boundaries. I'd say start small, and slowly build your way up. It may be scary at first, but you will get used to it, you just need patience. I used to only eat banana and yogurt, so a step for me was to try a different flavour yogurt, then another, then another, until I could eat all flavours. At first the tastes can seem intense, but you'll get used to it. Then I tried a little different fruit, until I could eat any type. If portion is an issue for you, build up slowly - if you have one weetabix for breakfast for example, have one and a quarter for a week, then 1 and a half the next week, then 2 the week after.

You may feel out of your comfort zone, but I'm confident you'll eventually get in to the swing of things. An issue for me was that I found it overwhelming to have more choices about what to eat. I now have a recipe box with daily plans in of what I'll eat for breakfast and lunch (I still eat exactly the same thing every day for tea, but I'm working on it!). That way, you don't have to spend time thinking and worrying about what to eat the next day; you just pick a card out and you know what you'll be eating the next day.

I hope this helps. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions :)

Children
No Data