Venlafaxine

Hi all, 

Does anyone here have experience of the antidepressant venlafaxine making suicidal thoughts/ideation, hopelessness, anger, etc, worse while lifting mood? It appears we've swapped one set of symptoms for a couple of others which are just as dangerous! Getting the right monitoring from mental health services is proving impossible - I'm sure these drugs have made him more likely to attempt suicide than less likely.

Thank you :-)

Parents
  • I'm currently on Venlafaxine, but at least for me it seems to help suppress suicidal thoughts, anger etc.

I'm in my fifties & have been on several different antidepressants over the last four years (they all seem to burn out after a while). None of them have had any real effect on my mood, but they have helped with the racing negative thoughts & destructive images that used to make my life unbearable.

It would be nice to have an anti-depressant that made me feel better about myself, but at least Venlafaxine seems to create a buffer in my head that significantly turns down the volume of the destructive negative thoughts & lets me hear myself think.

Everyone seems to react differently to mental health drugs, but I asked my doctor whether the fact that they don't ever seem to alter my mood at all was due to being the ASD spectrum. He thought it might be, as people on the spectrum have slightly different brain chemistry & are more likely to react differently.

I know several people who think that anti-depressants that actually made me feel worse have pretty much saved their lives, so it's a bit hit & miss for doctors to predict the best one for each patient.

I hope you find the right medication soon.

• I'm currently on Venlafaxine, but at least for me it seems to help suppress suicidal thoughts, anger etc.

I'm in my fifties & have been on several different antidepressants over the last four years (they all seem to burn out after a while). None of them have had any real effect on my mood, but they have helped with the racing negative thoughts & destructive images that used to make my life unbearable.

It would be nice to have an anti-depressant that made me feel better about myself, but at least Venlafaxine seems to create a buffer in my head that significantly turns down the volume of the destructive negative thoughts & lets me hear myself think.

Everyone seems to react differently to mental health drugs, but I asked my doctor whether the fact that they don't ever seem to alter my mood at all was due to being the ASD spectrum. He thought it might be, as people on the spectrum have slightly different brain chemistry & are more likely to react differently.

I know several people who think that anti-depressants that actually made me feel worse have pretty much saved their lives, so it's a bit hit & miss for doctors to predict the best one for each patient.

I hope you find the right medication soon.

Children
No Data