Venlafaxine

Hi all, 

Does anyone here have experience of the antidepressant venlafaxine making suicidal thoughts/ideation, hopelessness, anger, etc, worse while lifting mood? It appears we've swapped one set of symptoms for a couple of others which are just as dangerous! Getting the right monitoring from mental health services is proving impossible - I'm sure these drugs have made him more likely to attempt suicide than less likely.

Thank you :-)

Parents
  • YES!  I was on Venlafaxine for about 8 years - 8 years of high suicidal thoughts.  These have lessened since coming off Venlafaxine, but is that just because I'm feeling better and so was brought off the drug.

However, it is used for people who are feeling suicidal.  I'm just not sure it is good for autistic folk.  I've done reading about it for my PhD, and there is no evidence about use in autism - but there is eveidence of using it as a good antidepressant for suicidal people.

Is there an out of hours mental health number to phone - Here in Kent you can use Mental Health Matters and they contact the team if there is cause for concern, or you can phone the team directly.

Keep safe yourself, Margaret

• YES!  I was on Venlafaxine for about 8 years - 8 years of high suicidal thoughts.  These have lessened since coming off Venlafaxine, but is that just because I'm feeling better and so was brought off the drug.

However, it is used for people who are feeling suicidal.  I'm just not sure it is good for autistic folk.  I've done reading about it for my PhD, and there is no evidence about use in autism - but there is eveidence of using it as a good antidepressant for suicidal people.

Is there an out of hours mental health number to phone - Here in Kent you can use Mental Health Matters and they contact the team if there is cause for concern, or you can phone the team directly.

Keep safe yourself, Margaret

Children
No Data