Lorry drivers and getting diagnosed.

Hi everyone, 

im new here. I'll cut a long story short, basically for years my mum and I have both thought I've been Autistic, I really struggle with most things you'd read relating to it (I don't need to go through them, I'm sure you all get what I mean) 

My issue that I'm a lorry driver, I'm scared they'll try and revoke my licence. I think it makes me pay more attention to the little details but I'm not sure if the DVLA will see it that way. Is anyone here a lorry driver? after all these years of struggling it'd be so nice to have an idea what makes me struggle with making new friends, saying rude things struggling to understand people And worst of all, social situations. My anxiety goes through the roof to meet new people especially when it's more than one :(. 

I could pay privately too but I guess they'd have to tel my Dr still. I also used to get a lot of help for depression, I could speak to my previous pscyistrist maybe? 

Can anyone help me With any info? 

Thanks in advance. 

Parents
  • Hi Kimmy, 

I'm a 45 year old Trucker with Autism and Aspies. I'm the only driver in our company who has not been involved in an accident or incident in the past 5 years. What does that tell you my friend?

I drive a HGV and I work nights, I prefer nights as the roads are much quieter and less stressful for me, and I drive the same route every night. Perfect really. 

There is only a legal requirement for you to inform the DVLA and DVSA if your medical condition has an impact on your ability to drive a vehicle. Ask yourself how many people out there do you see driving with glasses on, I wonder how many of them have informed DVLA that they wear glasses????

By virtue of the fact you have already proven yourself to be a safe and competent driver and have passed the prescribed LGV driving test, not to mention surviving the boredom of the Driver CPC!!!

Stop worrying yourself buddy and enjoy your driving career. 

Best wishes and keep on truckin'

1. Andy the Trucker 
  • Hi Kimmy, 

I'm a 45 year old Trucker with Autism and Aspies. I'm the only driver in our company who has not been involved in an accident or incident in the past 5 years. What does that tell you my friend?

I drive a HGV and I work nights, I prefer nights as the roads are much quieter and less stressful for me, and I drive the same route every night. Perfect really. 

There is only a legal requirement for you to inform the DVLA and DVSA if your medical condition has an impact on your ability to drive a vehicle. Ask yourself how many people out there do you see driving with glasses on, I wonder how many of them have informed DVLA that they wear glasses????

By virtue of the fact you have already proven yourself to be a safe and competent driver and have passed the prescribed LGV driving test, not to mention surviving the boredom of the Driver CPC!!!

Stop worrying yourself buddy and enjoy your driving career. 

Best wishes and keep on truckin'

1. Andy the Trucker 
Children
  • Hello Andy, I appreciate the comment. I’ve had a few accidents recently but I work in heavy haulage and move some very big loads, wide long and very heavy. So I put it down to just having a bad run of it. Especially being I went so long with none. Work think I’m a good driver, they even assessed me recently again after having a couple small accidents. 

Regards 

Kim :)