Lorry drivers and getting diagnosed.

Hi everyone, 

im new here. I'll cut a long story short, basically for years my mum and I have both thought I've been Autistic, I really struggle with most things you'd read relating to it (I don't need to go through them, I'm sure you all get what I mean) 

My issue that I'm a lorry driver, I'm scared they'll try and revoke my licence. I think it makes me pay more attention to the little details but I'm not sure if the DVLA will see it that way. Is anyone here a lorry driver? after all these years of struggling it'd be so nice to have an idea what makes me struggle with making new friends, saying rude things struggling to understand people And worst of all, social situations. My anxiety goes through the roof to meet new people especially when it's more than one :(. 

I could pay privately too but I guess they'd have to tel my Dr still. I also used to get a lot of help for depression, I could speak to my previous pscyistrist maybe? 

Can anyone help me With any info? 

Thanks in advance. 

Parents
  • Hiya,

I’m a lorry driver too, and waiting for my appointment to come through for diagnosis. I told  the manager at my last job about it, as was off sick for 2 weeks with anxiety and depression, I was fine driving rigids, but the artics sent me over the edge, reversing into warehouses etc when there was little room for manoeuvre, the stress got too much.

The manager said that DVLA only need to be informed if your condition affects your ability to drive, however, if your stress level was above low to moderate, you wouldn’t be allowed to drive. I ended up walking out of that job after a meltdown with the transport staff.

I’m now driving a 7.5t vehicle for a parcel delivery company, the pay is very good, and the number of deliveries isn’t phasing me too much at the moment.

• That's good that you've found something you're a bit happier with. I'm a Class 1 Driver and am doing Agency Driving now because I prefer the freedom it gives me and I hate being tied to one employer. I can pick and choose when and where I work to a large degree. 

Just lately I've been getting quite a bit of work on the 7.5 tonners which I quite enjoy. I suppose it depends what you're delivering and who you work for. Last week I was working for a large company delivering janitorial supplies to prisons and hospitals etc. Nice easy work,  all on pallets, just put it on the tail lift and drop it at the main stores. Nice easy work and they're not constantly chasing you on the phone.

I love driving the big artics when it's just one drop trunking work but definitely not on a multi drop. The stress and unpredictable nature of multi drop is too much for me and overloads my senses.

When I signed up with Agency i disclosed my Autism/Aspergers to them and they don't have a problem with it. I specified to them what I want and don't want. For example no multi drop, no white goods home deliveries, and they were fine with it. I get plenty of nice work.

UK currently has a massive Driver shortage, around 60,000 HGV Drivers short with that figure set to increase after Brexit. So us lorry drivers are in quite a strong position as we are in very big demand.

• I was doing a night trunk, was happy with it as it was a routine, everything happened at the same times, they tried giving me a second trunk to do with no notice, I told them what they could do with it, and walked out. I did like the class one work, just got anxious with reversing. Getting 12.25 per hour now on 7.5t, and working for an excellent company with a fantastic manager.

• I was doing a night trunk, was happy with it as it was a routine, everything happened at the same times, they tried giving me a second trunk to do with no notice, I told them what they could do with it, and walked out. I did like the class one work, just got anxious with reversing. Getting 12.25 per hour now on 7.5t, and working for an excellent company with a fantastic manager.

Children
  • Good one, as I found out, meltdowns can be useful 

• Similar thing happened with me last year. Was working for company and had same run every day and loved the routine. You could have set your watch by what time I got to same place every day. I got to my drops and my brew was waiting cos they knew I'd be there at that time. And then we got a new Transport Manager who changed everything. Different runs everyday changed at the last minute, extra drops thrown on. I hated it and had a full on meltdown one morning and threw the keys at him and told him to go deliver it himself!!! 

Best thing I did as I'm much more calm and happy now and I know what I'm doing and when I'm doing it