Lorry drivers and getting diagnosed.

Hi everyone, 

im new here. I'll cut a long story short, basically for years my mum and I have both thought I've been Autistic, I really struggle with most things you'd read relating to it (I don't need to go through them, I'm sure you all get what I mean) 

My issue that I'm a lorry driver, I'm scared they'll try and revoke my licence. I think it makes me pay more attention to the little details but I'm not sure if the DVLA will see it that way. Is anyone here a lorry driver? after all these years of struggling it'd be so nice to have an idea what makes me struggle with making new friends, saying rude things struggling to understand people And worst of all, social situations. My anxiety goes through the roof to meet new people especially when it's more than one :(. 

I could pay privately too but I guess they'd have to tel my Dr still. I also used to get a lot of help for depression, I could speak to my previous pscyistrist maybe? 

Can anyone help me With any info? 

Thanks in advance. 

Parents
  • Hi Kimmy,

It appears to make you an even more careful driver. As far as I can tell, the Gov UK site only states that you must disclose it if it can affect your driving. From all accounts, you've had no accidents or troubles without being diagnosed? If you seek a NHS diagnosis, then I'd be doubtful that your doctor would rule you as incapable of safely driving. To be a Lorry driver, you've had to do further testing, haven't you?

You've proven yourself more than capable of handling your job. I checked the DVLA M1 form and I don't think you would have anything to disclose that would disqualify you. 

I don't think you should hold back from getting a diagnosis. From research, it seems that the chances of you having your licence revoked are very slim. 

Good luck! 

I hope that this was helpful in anyway.

-Irka

• I've been driving HGV for over 20 years and only relatively recently had my diagnosis of Aspergers, although I've always known, as had my GP it turns out.

I think being Autistic actually makes me a much better and safer driver. I take in more detail, remember more, am much more thorough and methodical and notice things others miss.

I am the only Driver in the company to be accident and incident free for over 5 years so that pretty much says all you need to know.

DVLA says that you need only notify them if your condition affects your ability to safely drive a motor vehicle. I wonder how many people wearing glasses have informed the DVLA or indeed their insurance company that they wear them for driving.

• I've been driving HGV for over 20 years and only relatively recently had my diagnosis of Aspergers, although I've always known, as had my GP it turns out.

I think being Autistic actually makes me a much better and safer driver. I take in more detail, remember more, am much more thorough and methodical and notice things others miss.

I am the only Driver in the company to be accident and incident free for over 5 years so that pretty much says all you need to know.

DVLA says that you need only notify them if your condition affects your ability to safely drive a motor vehicle. I wonder how many people wearing glasses have informed the DVLA or indeed their insurance company that they wear them for driving.

Children
No Data