Adult Diagnosis - Embarressed

Hi. I'am a 29 year old male, I think im on the AS somewere but undiagnossed. I got diagnossed with dyslexia at age 24. I feel down about it tbh, I just cant doo other humans or small talk or backstabbing in the workplace. I get incredibly frustrated at work and Im always fearfull I let what I think of people out as in the past I called someone a corrupt c**t and got sacked. I think Im really tolerant but when someone winds me up I just cant bite my tongue. I feel  quite misanthropic in outlook basically.

In my opinion im of average intelligence. I've been completely addicted to listening to music since I was about 12. I literally own thousands of records and when I was younger I seriously couldnt concentrate on anything other than whatever song I was addicted too. At one point I was a apprentice engineer but just couldnt concentrate on anything other than music, I got through my apprenticeship but couldnt stand the working envirmonment. However I cant play an instrument as I cant really keep it co-ordinated.

I feel as though im always the last one to understand a joke. My repsonses to stimuli are really poor (slow). I feel that I cant express myself at all. I cant write emotion messages on cards, participate in drama. I cant have a phonecall in the respect that I cant gauge when to come in.

I have a 2.1 BSc (hons) degree in music tech (engineering side) which in my final year I drove 85miles each way everyday to attend. Which I think represents me, complete commitment if Im into something, but doing it alone. The 85 mile drive was ace as I didnt have to small talk. I can completly amuse myself and hate new social situations

The only person I can look in the eyes of is my partner of 12 years. I hate it when people at work try to get eyecontact.

So after that massively long blurb........................................Does any one behave similar? I feel embarressed about going to see the GP, I dont like the whole why do you want I diagnosis thing. It  would make me feel like an attention seeker. Has anyone been through this kind of thing?

Parents
  • David said:

Are you going to bring any one with you?

It might be useful to bring someone who knew you  as a child.

They might want to know your developmental history.

In my case it must be some where on my Medical records a Psychiatrist when I was nine  suggesting an Autistic School that was back in 1966 although my Doctor told me in 2009 that he does not have that.

Only a remark by a Psychiatrist in 1976 suggesting that I am mildly Autistic which is the equivalent today of Asperger Syndrome.

They might not have anything from your childhood to suggest that you have Autism.

Half an hour seems a short time unless your case is obvious like mine.

Good Luck.

David

My Mum get's petty and a bit hysterical when the topic of Autism arises and she didnt respond well to me seeking a dyslexia diagnosis. So I couldnt take her or Dad, I have however found some school reports which may help. 

I'm taking my long term girlfriend (of nearly 13 years). I know she can't comment on my developmental history, but she can explain my frustrations, emotions and my behavior better than I. 

I think half an hour is too short too.

• David said:

Are you going to bring any one with you?

It might be useful to bring someone who knew you  as a child.

They might want to know your developmental history.

In my case it must be some where on my Medical records a Psychiatrist when I was nine  suggesting an Autistic School that was back in 1966 although my Doctor told me in 2009 that he does not have that.

Only a remark by a Psychiatrist in 1976 suggesting that I am mildly Autistic which is the equivalent today of Asperger Syndrome.

They might not have anything from your childhood to suggest that you have Autism.

Half an hour seems a short time unless your case is obvious like mine.

Good Luck.

David

My Mum get's petty and a bit hysterical when the topic of Autism arises and she didnt respond well to me seeking a dyslexia diagnosis. So I couldnt take her or Dad, I have however found some school reports which may help. 

I'm taking my long term girlfriend (of nearly 13 years). I know she can't comment on my developmental history, but she can explain my frustrations, emotions and my behavior better than I. 

I think half an hour is too short too.

Children
No Data