Pros and cons of assessment/ benefits of assessment

hi everyone,

i am in need of some help with the diagnose/ don't diagnose question.  I have read a fair few posts about it and still have yet more questions!

My son is 7 and may be high functioning.  He has plenty of traits but I worry that a diagnosis will mean allowances will be made for him which will ultimately make it harder for him as an adult - I want to give him a fair chance and the support he needs to live a happy and independent life as an adult.

i worry that laws about disclosure may change amd that attitudes can change.  I'm not sure a diagnosis will get us any more support or any meaningful information about him that will mean we can support him better at home or school.

Can any anyone tell me what kind of information a diagnosis might give us about our son and what kind of additional support might be available? We live in the Thames Valley.  

We went on the course with our local AS anod we think he is 'borderline' (!). We have worked v hard with boundaries and clear expectations and things are much better at home (we are hoping we are bad parents ha ha...)

my main concern for him at the moment is making and maintaining friendships. 

Thank you!

Parents
  • Dear newfoodprocessor, your not being thick, your asking a very valid and important question about your son.

You have every right to want to know the pro's and con's of an assessment. I have asked the same question about myself so don't worry.

I was told I would be offered no therapies or aftercare following my assessment, but that i suppose is because I am an adult.

My reason for wanting to be assessed is purely so i can understand myself better, and confirm what I believe i've always known, that i am just wired slightly differently to NTs.

Hope this in some way helps, and good luck

Blues

• Dear newfoodprocessor, your not being thick, your asking a very valid and important question about your son.

You have every right to want to know the pro's and con's of an assessment. I have asked the same question about myself so don't worry.

I was told I would be offered no therapies or aftercare following my assessment, but that i suppose is because I am an adult.

My reason for wanting to be assessed is purely so i can understand myself better, and confirm what I believe i've always known, that i am just wired slightly differently to NTs.

Hope this in some way helps, and good luck

Blues

Children
No Data