Sickness

Hi, My 5 year old son has autism and when ever he's unwell in any way (and often even when he's not) he is sick too. I have read a few articles which say gastrointestinal problems can be common in children with autism. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is there a way to help or prevent this? Thanks E
Parents
  • Firstly, young children are often more prone to be sick than adults but you may want to consult a doctor or health visitor to identify what is actually normal.

There is no confirmed link between intestinal problems and autism but...

There are people who may have food intolerance or conditions like Crohn's disease in addition to autism. You can obviously have any other condition in the medical books in addition to autism. Autism can mean that the child is unable to communicate how they are feeling and this can lead to problems rumbling on and then getting worse.

Some people with autism have terrible monotonous diets - parents are responsible for making sure that a balanced diet is eaten by their children. If a child refuses to eat one particular type of food then they may really find it disgusting but there will be alternatives.

People with autism are often stressed or anxious due to their problems with interacting with the world at large. Stress and anxiety are known causes of IBS etc.

Some people have found that using a food intolerance diet can help their child. See http://fedup.com.au/ for details.

Personally, I have found that I have some intolerances and I need to avoid certain fruits (apples, strawberries, baby plum tomatoes). I have also suffered from the stress/anxiety induced issues.

• Firstly, young children are often more prone to be sick than adults but you may want to consult a doctor or health visitor to identify what is actually normal.

There is no confirmed link between intestinal problems and autism but...

There are people who may have food intolerance or conditions like Crohn's disease in addition to autism. You can obviously have any other condition in the medical books in addition to autism. Autism can mean that the child is unable to communicate how they are feeling and this can lead to problems rumbling on and then getting worse.

Some people with autism have terrible monotonous diets - parents are responsible for making sure that a balanced diet is eaten by their children. If a child refuses to eat one particular type of food then they may really find it disgusting but there will be alternatives.

People with autism are often stressed or anxious due to their problems with interacting with the world at large. Stress and anxiety are known causes of IBS etc.

Some people have found that using a food intolerance diet can help their child. See http://fedup.com.au/ for details.

Personally, I have found that I have some intolerances and I need to avoid certain fruits (apples, strawberries, baby plum tomatoes). I have also suffered from the stress/anxiety induced issues.

Children
No Data