Noise Cancelling Headphones

Hi there,

My son has Aspergers and learning difficulties.  He is extremely noise sensitive and struggles at school.  I am trying to research the best noise cancelling headphones/ear defenders.  I have bought him some ear defenders on Amazon which he has tried out today but they didnt help.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lettie

Parents
  • For me personally it depends a little on the specific circumstances.  If I need to block out surrounding noise entirely then the best thing is generally music that suits my mood through either proper noise-cancelling headphones (i.e. the ones with the button to turn the nose-cancelling effect on) or well-fitted deep in-ear headphones (which physically block out sounds in much the same way as ear plugs).

I do use ear plugs but they do not usually block sound completely but rather take it down a notch, which is useful when I may need to hear speech from someone else or for sleep if I need to wake up to my alarm in the morning etc.

Another tactic to try is to look at ways to make his environment more predictable or to reduce his anxiety or emotional arousal.  I know I tend to find unexpected or inconsistent noise far more disruptive than constant noise and am much more sensitive if I am anxious or feeling vulnerable.

• For me personally it depends a little on the specific circumstances.  If I need to block out surrounding noise entirely then the best thing is generally music that suits my mood through either proper noise-cancelling headphones (i.e. the ones with the button to turn the nose-cancelling effect on) or well-fitted deep in-ear headphones (which physically block out sounds in much the same way as ear plugs).

I do use ear plugs but they do not usually block sound completely but rather take it down a notch, which is useful when I may need to hear speech from someone else or for sleep if I need to wake up to my alarm in the morning etc.

Another tactic to try is to look at ways to make his environment more predictable or to reduce his anxiety or emotional arousal.  I know I tend to find unexpected or inconsistent noise far more disruptive than constant noise and am much more sensitive if I am anxious or feeling vulnerable.

Children
No Data