Diagnosis in Bradford and Airedale

Just a quick post with info that may be useful to folks in the Bradford/Airedale region ('BD' post-codes, I assume)

My GP had tried to refer me for an ASD assessment twice before over the last couple of years - only to find the referral rejected.  Recently, on my (wonderful!) GPs third referral, I was finally accepted, and have now been diagnosed with an Autistic Spectrum Condition.

It seems that previously, GPs in Bradford/Airedale often had to refer to private clinics due to the lack of an "in-house" NHS service for diagnosis.  On the second referall attempt, my GP admitted that this was because the practice had difficulty obtaining funding for the private referalls (even though their psychologist was prepared to accept the case!).

However, last year, a new service was started as part of the local NHS mental health team.  They have been absolutely wonderful, taking their time to condict the assessment over several lengthy interviews.  They also have a team with several different professions (for example, I have been referred to their Occupational Therapist to explore my sensory difficulties in more detail).

The service is called "Bradford and Airedale Neurological Development Services" (BANDS).  If you live in this area, and have experienced the same difficulty getting an assessment in the past, I can recommend pointing your GP at this service.

As with all such things, waiting lists are months long - but they will at least let your GP know whether or not your case has been accepted within a couple of weeks.

Please note...

- It is NOT a self-referral service; you need to be referred by your GP etc.

- I speak as an adult seeking a diagnosis for myself; I don't know whether they also assist parents/children.

Best wishes,

Trog.

Parents Reply Children
No Data