Brain Scan a good thing.?

This is my first post in this discussion.

It might soon be possible to discover if someone is Autistic by a brain scan.

There is information about the new brain scan on the web site and the articles were written last year in 2010.   Anyone can look it up for themselves on the web.

The computer can tell small differences in the brain so tell if the person is on the Autistic Spectrum.

It would be much quicker than interviewing the person.

I do not know if a person would count as Autistic if they behaved as though they were but the brain scan did not show Autism.

People in that situation might be denied help if they did not count as Autistic.

In the 1980s I was told that the brain scans did not detect anything wrong with my brians.   People who knew me were not impressed.

I have since done brain scans for research the idea being to find out by scanning many Autistic people if their brains are different from Non Autistic people.

That research might have helped them develop the new brain scan.

Do you think the new brain scan will be a good thing when it is developed?

What would you feel if the brain scan found that your were not Autistic? 

David

Parents
  • How do we know if the machines are not a hundred percent accurate.?

I should think it is possible to have difficulty reading without being Dyslexic and some people with Dyslexia over come their difficulties.

The same might be true of Autism.

Are you saying that ninety percent of people who behave as though they are Autistic show up on the brain scan?

Are you also saying that people who do not behave as though there are Autistic do not show up on the brain scan.

David

• How do we know if the machines are not a hundred percent accurate.?

I should think it is possible to have difficulty reading without being Dyslexic and some people with Dyslexia over come their difficulties.

The same might be true of Autism.

Are you saying that ninety percent of people who behave as though they are Autistic show up on the brain scan?

Are you also saying that people who do not behave as though there are Autistic do not show up on the brain scan.

David

Children
No Data