Epilim & autism?

I diddnt know till this evening that this epeleptic drug can cause autism, now though i did not take this when pregnant,do you think this could stay in your system or do something that causes it? i started taking this medication when i was around 15 to the age of 18 and wondering if this possibley could be the cause? however it should have well dissapeared out my system????/

Parents
  • The factor all these issues have in common is an association with MTHFR gene mutations. Of which I have many - so very interested in it.

doccarnahan.blogspot.co.uk/.../mthfr-gene-mutation-whats-big-deal.html

Epilim knocks out folate. Anyone taking it is advised to take folic acid supplements, as are pregnant women. However those with MTHFR mutations (30-40% of the population) cannot metabolise synthetic folic acid and one theory is that the unmetabolised folic acid cause issues. Which will vary depending on level/genetics/diet.

Personal opinion is that as a precaution, supplement manufacturers should be forced to use the bioavailable (more expensive) form methyfolate rather than synthetic folic acid. At least until more is known about MTHFR - it is a very new field of research.

• The factor all these issues have in common is an association with MTHFR gene mutations. Of which I have many - so very interested in it.

doccarnahan.blogspot.co.uk/.../mthfr-gene-mutation-whats-big-deal.html

Epilim knocks out folate. Anyone taking it is advised to take folic acid supplements, as are pregnant women. However those with MTHFR mutations (30-40% of the population) cannot metabolise synthetic folic acid and one theory is that the unmetabolised folic acid cause issues. Which will vary depending on level/genetics/diet.

Personal opinion is that as a precaution, supplement manufacturers should be forced to use the bioavailable (more expensive) form methyfolate rather than synthetic folic acid. At least until more is known about MTHFR - it is a very new field of research.

Children
No Data