Obesity

I am over 140 KG (22 Stone, 308 Pounds) and have found that being an Aspie who is a Full Time Carer for my 89 Year-Old Grandmother has taken its toll.

Ever since I was 10 I was on one form of a diet or another. There has been some good weight loss, but mainly it's upwards. My peak weight was 25 Stone. (350 Pounds, 158 KG)

I am completely at a loss as to how to cook healthily.

Parents
  • I could also do with losing a few pounds.. so this is partly a case of do as I say, not as I do ;-) 

Aside from the obvious do more exercise, I would recommend some kind of slimming club especially if you need help with healthy recipes - Slimming World is good, the diet is very effective, and going to the class introduced an element of competitiveness which (for me anyhow) always helps. It is on my list of new year resolutions to go back!

If you would rather not go to a class, then Weight Watchers online is very good. Their website is excellent, with a very active forum where people post recipes and tips. They have a 'points calculator' where you can enter what you have eaten and it keeps a running total, and an app so you can go into supermarkets and scan items. I bought their scales which calculate Points, which are very handy when cooking. 

Both SW and WW do cookery books, and have some of their recipes online. 
    www.weightwatchers.co.uk/food
    www.slimmingworld.com/.../food-optimising.aspx 

A few general tips I have found for eating more healthily -
    - Get a vegetable steamer. Veg tastes nicer and it is easy to clean up
    - Slow cooker. Easy to throw veg or meat in it, then leave it to do its thing all day. 
    - Agree that banning certain foods is a good idea unless you have an iron will. If I had a loaf of bread in the house it would be gone by the end of the day, along with half the packet of butter!  
    - If you have the time, then I would recommend getting a juicer or smoothie maker. Many people find once they are in the habit of drinking something healthy, their tastes change and they crave veg rather than junk food. Carrot and beetroot are very good juiced, and would be good for Gran too! 

• I could also do with losing a few pounds.. so this is partly a case of do as I say, not as I do ;-) 

Aside from the obvious do more exercise, I would recommend some kind of slimming club especially if you need help with healthy recipes - Slimming World is good, the diet is very effective, and going to the class introduced an element of competitiveness which (for me anyhow) always helps. It is on my list of new year resolutions to go back!

If you would rather not go to a class, then Weight Watchers online is very good. Their website is excellent, with a very active forum where people post recipes and tips. They have a 'points calculator' where you can enter what you have eaten and it keeps a running total, and an app so you can go into supermarkets and scan items. I bought their scales which calculate Points, which are very handy when cooking. 

Both SW and WW do cookery books, and have some of their recipes online. 
    www.weightwatchers.co.uk/food
    www.slimmingworld.com/.../food-optimising.aspx 

A few general tips I have found for eating more healthily -
    - Get a vegetable steamer. Veg tastes nicer and it is easy to clean up
    - Slow cooker. Easy to throw veg or meat in it, then leave it to do its thing all day. 
    - Agree that banning certain foods is a good idea unless you have an iron will. If I had a loaf of bread in the house it would be gone by the end of the day, along with half the packet of butter!  
    - If you have the time, then I would recommend getting a juicer or smoothie maker. Many people find once they are in the habit of drinking something healthy, their tastes change and they crave veg rather than junk food. Carrot and beetroot are very good juiced, and would be good for Gran too! 

Children
No Data