Dental problems - very concerned

Hi,

My son is 9 years old and we are having huge problems cleaning his teeth. They are becoming very yellow and covered in plaque, especially the front teeth. Every time he cleans his teeth he barely touches his front teeth with the toothbrush. If I try to help him he pulls his lip firmly into his teeth so I can't get the toothbrush down to his teeth. I am really concerned as these are his adult teeth and I do not want him to lose them.

Any advice really welcome.

Thanks in advance x

Parents
  • My 13 yr old daughter has teeth that are very crowded and should be having some removed (that is a story in itself!) so cleaning them was a nightmare.  Because she had all of her adult teeth very early, she was referred to an orthodontist who didn't want to do any treatment until she'd got on top of brushing them (they were similar to what you describe in your son).

We ended up seeing the hygenist on and off for two years and that worked.  Because she needed the constant repetition of being reminded how to do it, we would go every two weeks for a couple of months, then have a break for a few months then start going back again.  It has worked, she cleans them well now and she built up a lovely relationship with the hygenist however we were lucky in that we lived very close to the dentist so it wasn't much of a chore.  I'd recomend it though.

• My 13 yr old daughter has teeth that are very crowded and should be having some removed (that is a story in itself!) so cleaning them was a nightmare.  Because she had all of her adult teeth very early, she was referred to an orthodontist who didn't want to do any treatment until she'd got on top of brushing them (they were similar to what you describe in your son).

We ended up seeing the hygenist on and off for two years and that worked.  Because she needed the constant repetition of being reminded how to do it, we would go every two weeks for a couple of months, then have a break for a few months then start going back again.  It has worked, she cleans them well now and she built up a lovely relationship with the hygenist however we were lucky in that we lived very close to the dentist so it wasn't much of a chore.  I'd recomend it though.

Children
No Data