Adult private diagnosis without GP referral?

Hi,

I'm a 28-year-old woman and I strongly believe I have high-functioning Asperger's - I was just wondering if anyone here had successfully obtained a private diagnosis of ASD without having to be referred by a GP? I'm in the North East but there doesn't seem to be anywhere offering this around here.

My reason for seeking a diagnosis is just to put the problems that I've had all my life into context - I'm not seeking any NHS help or any benefits.

I very much doubt I would get a referral from my GP (or any other doctor) as I'm sure it seems that outwardly I am 'coping' - I have a partner and a full-time job, and a range of (fake) social skills that I have been able to mimic from others, but this is all very much an act which is exhausting to perform every day. 

I also fully accept that my Aspergers is not causing me as many problems as it does for others, and this is another reason that I would feel uncomfortable taking up a space on an NHS diagnosis waiting list.

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

(PS - Yes I know I'm extremely lucky to be able to afford a private diagnosis - I'm only able to afford it because I was left a small amount of money when my alcoholic mother (who I believe also had AS) died last year. I'm certainly not rich by any means)

Parents
  • Hi everyone, 

Thanks so much for all your replies, they're very much appreciated.

Thanks for that list, IntenseWorld, I'll have a good look through it tomorrow and try and contact a few of the people on there - one of my first questions for them will be 'do you have any experience of diagnosing women with autism?' as I've read so much about the ignorance that surrounds how ASD presents in women. It's so frustrating reading lists like this and ticking off every single one, and knowing that if I was to take that to most medical professionals they would completely discount it because it doesn't fit with the standard perception of autism. For years I thought that I couldn't possibly have Aspergers because I have way too much empathy, not too little - I wish there was more public awareness of how differently ASD can manifest in men and women. 

longman (and IntenseWorld) - I did consider requesting an NHS referral but decided against it as I'd like to have as much choice as possible over who does the assessment, as I'm concerned that if I was referred to whoever was available through the NHS, they'd tell me I was fine as I don't outwardly display the key 'typical' ASD traits because of my learnt coping behaviours (e.g. I will force myself to hold eye contact even though it makes me feel ill, and attempt small talk, because I've learnt 'that's what you're supposed to do').

Dunk - I completely agree about the sense of freedom and acceptance that self-diagnosis brings - after stumbling across the article that I linked to above, I burst into tears of relief after finally being able to put a name to what I'd felt my entire life. I can't really explain why a professional diagnosis is so important to me - I suppose I just want to see it in front of me in black and white? It's just a personal thing though, and I don't think self-diagnosis is any less valid.

tbag - I'll post the quotes that I get for private assessments on this thread so you can get an idea of the likely cost. 

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond :)

• Hi everyone, 

Thanks so much for all your replies, they're very much appreciated.

Thanks for that list, IntenseWorld, I'll have a good look through it tomorrow and try and contact a few of the people on there - one of my first questions for them will be 'do you have any experience of diagnosing women with autism?' as I've read so much about the ignorance that surrounds how ASD presents in women. It's so frustrating reading lists like this and ticking off every single one, and knowing that if I was to take that to most medical professionals they would completely discount it because it doesn't fit with the standard perception of autism. For years I thought that I couldn't possibly have Aspergers because I have way too much empathy, not too little - I wish there was more public awareness of how differently ASD can manifest in men and women. 

longman (and IntenseWorld) - I did consider requesting an NHS referral but decided against it as I'd like to have as much choice as possible over who does the assessment, as I'm concerned that if I was referred to whoever was available through the NHS, they'd tell me I was fine as I don't outwardly display the key 'typical' ASD traits because of my learnt coping behaviours (e.g. I will force myself to hold eye contact even though it makes me feel ill, and attempt small talk, because I've learnt 'that's what you're supposed to do').

Dunk - I completely agree about the sense of freedom and acceptance that self-diagnosis brings - after stumbling across the article that I linked to above, I burst into tears of relief after finally being able to put a name to what I'd felt my entire life. I can't really explain why a professional diagnosis is so important to me - I suppose I just want to see it in front of me in black and white? It's just a personal thing though, and I don't think self-diagnosis is any less valid.

tbag - I'll post the quotes that I get for private assessments on this thread so you can get an idea of the likely cost. 

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond :)

Children
No Data