Does anyone struggle with excessive sleeping?

I am really struggling with excessive sleeping, I don't know why. I don't have any medical conditions other than my Autism and low B12.

I wake up at a usual time, around 8am but feel very dazed and fall asleep again until 10:30am and then stay in bed scrolling on my iPhone until around 1pm.

I'm trying really hard to improve my life and change things, but I feel exhausted and need lots of sleep. I used to be able to sleep fine and go to bed at a good time, but recently I have been resisting sleep so I don't fall asleep until around midnight or 1am.

There's a lot to unpack there, I'm feeling a little lost as I can't see many posts relating to excessive sleeping and Autism.

Any advice or personal experiences would be welcome, thanks! 

Parents
  • I see heard that blue light from a screen could keep people awake. There's a blue light filter you could turn "on" on your devices, and there's also blue light filter glasses you could buy from the store. 

Your body produces melatonin, which is the "drowsy" feeling you get, before falling asleep. Blue light makes your body think it's daytime, and so the body doesn't go in to produce melatonin. Filtering the blue light, will help the body start producing melatonin, it'll take a few hours to produce enough of it, and then the body will eventually feel drowsy and fall asleep.

If you drink any caffeine or eat any sugar before bedtime, that could also keep you up. I've accidentally done both those things, and it lead to being up the entire night, and that's no fun. 

• I'd advise a B12 supplement, see your GP and get some blood tests done as you might need injections or even have pernicious aenemia which means your body can't get the B12 it needs from your food. I'm borderline pernicious aenemic and I know how ill it can make you feel, I have to take a daily supplement, before i was prescribed it I was really worried about myself as I felt so ill, with tiredness, lack of concentration, breathlessness and all sorts of things. I was so relieved when it came back as something so easily fixable as I was seriously wondering if was something like lucemia.

If you can't get to the GP or it takes a while to get to see them then I'd suggest you try Floradix liquid Iron supplement as it contains all the things you need to absorb B12 as well as iron in an easily digestable form. When I worked in a wholefood shop we had a lot of midwives suggest this to pregnant women as it dosen't bung you up, it's not cheap, but it's worth it, so many supplements dont' contain the vitamiins and minerals you need to absorb them or they counteract each other.

• I'd advise a B12 supplement, see your GP and get some blood tests done as you might need injections or even have pernicious aenemia which means your body can't get the B12 it needs from your food. I'm borderline pernicious aenemic and I know how ill it can make you feel, I have to take a daily supplement, before i was prescribed it I was really worried about myself as I felt so ill, with tiredness, lack of concentration, breathlessness and all sorts of things. I was so relieved when it came back as something so easily fixable as I was seriously wondering if was something like lucemia.

If you can't get to the GP or it takes a while to get to see them then I'd suggest you try Floradix liquid Iron supplement as it contains all the things you need to absorb B12 as well as iron in an easily digestable form. When I worked in a wholefood shop we had a lot of midwives suggest this to pregnant women as it dosen't bung you up, it's not cheap, but it's worth it, so many supplements dont' contain the vitamiins and minerals you need to absorb them or they counteract each other.

Children