Posture

Having had bad posture all my life (hunched shoulders/rounded back) finding out it could be as a result of autism hypermobility/low tone felt groundbreaking, like it might not just be a personal failing. However, I would like to ‘stand up straighter’ as it would help multiple areas of my life. 
Has anyone found anything that helps? I do pilates most weeks and try to stand up straighter when I remember but struggle with body awareness and sensory things that lead me to hunch over (e.g. wearing bras).

thank you!

Parents
  • You will need muscle strength, particularly in your core and upper body for good posture. Strong muscle will help hold your joints if they are hypermobile. Pilates is good and also helps with proprioception but I don’t personally find it increases my strength enough if that’s all I do. Weight exercises, mainly in the form of aerial hoop, silks and ballet has helped me more. My husband has awful posture but if he just thinks about standing or sitting straight it really hurts him because he doesn’t have the muscle to maintain it. When I was at peak strength my back and core held themselves. I also second someone else’s suggestion about bra fitting, when I went from 32D to a sister size with a smaller band it really felt like someone had taken half the weight of my boobs away because they were actually being supported instead of just covered

• The frustrating thing is I’d say I have at least ‘within average’ upper body/core strength- just tested it and I can hold a plank for 1.5 minutes, hardly spectacular but equally not so weak I should struggle to hold myself up straight. I can sit up straight all the time I’m concentrating on it with no issues, I just can’t seem to get it to become innate/second nature despite 18 years of trying.

• The frustrating thing is I’d say I have at least ‘within average’ upper body/core strength- just tested it and I can hold a plank for 1.5 minutes, hardly spectacular but equally not so weak I should struggle to hold myself up straight. I can sit up straight all the time I’m concentrating on it with no issues, I just can’t seem to get it to become innate/second nature despite 18 years of trying.

Children
No Data