Bad meltdowns before illness

Hi was wondering if anyone has experience with having issues the week before becoming sick

My 6yo probably autistic kid tends to have a horrendously off week out of nowhere where he gets extremely emotional suddenly and any small thing sets him off into a huge tantrum/meltdown, and then he lashes out at school too. Almost always this out of nowhere behaviour ends in a fever, chest infection, ear infection etc, and then a completely different boy at the end of it. 

Wondered if anyone else noticed this in themselves or their kids and have any advice on managing it?

• [deleted by moderator]

• Hello, 

It’s challenging to see your child struggle with sudden emotional outbursts and meltdowns. While I’m not a doctor, I can share some insights that might help you understand what’s happening:

Fever-Autism Connection:
    Parents have reported that behavioral symptoms in children with autism sometimes diminish during a fever.
    Researchers have studied this phenomenon and found that an immune molecule called IL-17a may play a role.
    In mice, mimicking bacterial infection leads to the release of IL-17a, which suppresses a brain region linked to social behavioral deficits.
    This complex interplay between the nervous and immune systems could temporarily alleviate autism-like symptoms during inflammatory conditions1.
    Infections and Behavior:
    Infections, such as chest infections or ear infections, can trigger behavioral changes in some children.
    The immune response during infections might affect brain regions responsible for behavior and emotions.
    It’s essential to monitor your child’s health and seek medical advice when needed.

Best Regard

• The problems here start with the off week - his anxiety levels will be high causing cortizol to be released in large quantities, and after a week of this followed by the big meltdown, his body will be vulnerable to other conditions.

There is a good article explaining the relationship here:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/cortisol-and-stress#effects-of-stress