Is stopping a stim worth it?

I stim by pulling out my eyelashes, sometimes my eyebrow hair too. I've done it for the past 10 years now and I understand that it's technically damaging my body when I do it. But I wonder if its worth trying to stop? I've resisted doing it ever since people around me started noticing and made me realize that it's not right, but it makes me feel so much better. I'd say its the one true thing comforts me. Nothing I have ever tried has made me feel better than that - fidget toys, textured items, safe foods, none has ever gotten me to a point where I feel like I can stop pulling. I've turned to putting vasaline on my eyelashes or wearing a glove/plasters on my fingers so I don't pull them out. But its getting to the point where even that isn't working and I'm starting to wonder if stopping is even worth it - what's the use in giving myself added stress about the fact that I can't stop if it seems unlikely that I'll ever stop? Does anyone have a similar experience or anything to say on the matter?

Parents
  • Yes I struggle with picking at the skin on my face, it has been possible to reduce the intensity a bit though by focusing over a wider area. With eyelashes I’d be concerned about the risk for eye irritation, given how sensitive eyes are- redirecting it to plucking your eyebrows (doesn’t have to be a total switch, just reducing the frequency of plucking the eyelashes specifically would be good). I’d guess (consciously or unconsciously) you tend to go for eyelashes as they’re a bit easier and thicker to pull, and produce more skin movement (so more stimulation)? 
    Some other ideas:

• putting a layer of mascara on- wiping it off (especially if it’s thick/crusted) provides very similar stimulus but is less damaging to the eyelashes.
    • skin peels - some of the sensory shops have this, it’s basically a layer you can apply and then pull off
    • other areas of hair - plucking pubic areas or head hair would generally be less risky than eyelashes 

If wearing gloves reduces the amount you pull them I would suggest to carry on with that - try not to guilt yourself if you do end up pulling them, sometimes your brain just needs that specific input. Taking steps to reduce the harm and frequency - even if other stims don’t regulate as much, if they can help you decrease the amount of time you are pulling, that’s still good. 

• Yes I struggle with picking at the skin on my face, it has been possible to reduce the intensity a bit though by focusing over a wider area. With eyelashes I’d be concerned about the risk for eye irritation, given how sensitive eyes are- redirecting it to plucking your eyebrows (doesn’t have to be a total switch, just reducing the frequency of plucking the eyelashes specifically would be good). I’d guess (consciously or unconsciously) you tend to go for eyelashes as they’re a bit easier and thicker to pull, and produce more skin movement (so more stimulation)? 
    Some other ideas:

• putting a layer of mascara on- wiping it off (especially if it’s thick/crusted) provides very similar stimulus but is less damaging to the eyelashes.
    • skin peels - some of the sensory shops have this, it’s basically a layer you can apply and then pull off
    • other areas of hair - plucking pubic areas or head hair would generally be less risky than eyelashes 

If wearing gloves reduces the amount you pull them I would suggest to carry on with that - try not to guilt yourself if you do end up pulling them, sometimes your brain just needs that specific input. Taking steps to reduce the harm and frequency - even if other stims don’t regulate as much, if they can help you decrease the amount of time you are pulling, that’s still good. 

Children
No Data