Reasonable Adjustments for Phone Calls in Work

Hello! I would really appreciate input from anyone who might have had some types of phone calls excluded from their job as a reasonable adjustment.

My job was changed without us getting the choice a few months ago. I am really good at my job but we were always told that we didn't need to get on the phone to strangers if we didn't feel comfortable doing so. This was repeated over and over. 

Since the job role has changed for the whole department this is now mandatory. I find this type of phone call really triggers the worst symptoms of my autism including panic, anxiety and a lot worse. I sometimes lose the ability to talk and it causes me a lot of distress. 

When I brought up I can't make this change due to my autism (which is well known about) I was told that it wasn't related to my autism, it's a personal preference and we all have to do things we don't like.

I would like to have this put in place formally as a reasonable adjustment, but I don't know if this is possible. I continue to be excellent at all other aspects of the job.

Any advice from anyone who has done this before or something similar would be really appreciated. Thanks!

• It's crucial to have a conversation with your HR department or a disability accommodations coordinator to discuss your specific needs due to your autism.

Document how these phone calls exacerbate your symptoms and how it impacts your ability to perform otherwise excellently in your role. Request a formal reasonable adjustment, such as exemption from certain types of phone calls or alternative communication methods, supported by medical documentation if possible.

Seek guidance from disability advocacy organizations or legal resources specializing in workplace accommodations if needed.

• Thank you! This is really useful. I am excellent at emails, I am frustrated they won't just let me use them instead :(

• Thank you, I might just do this! I think I will move in the medium term, but I'm waiting for a heart scan which might be followed by heart operations with quite a long recovery time, so I need to stay here for the time being.

• I'm sorry to hear this. I don't cope well with phones either, but luckily I'm not required to use them much - I mostly use email.

Your request for an adjustment doesn't sound unreasonable to me, and the reaction is so typical of those who don't understand autism. I wonder what they think "difficulties with social communication" - a key identifier of autism - actually means, as using telephones is part of that!

I found an article about how phones can cause difficulties for autistic people - I can't seem to paste a link, but here is the web address:

life-skills.middletownautism.com/strategies/leisure/using-the-telephone/

• Ask to see a copy of the employee grievance procedure.. When asked why you want to see it, say "In order to keep performing in my job, I need a reasonable adjustment to be made, and this has been denied". 

I'd also be taking a look around the jonb market and seeing if you can snag the same sort of work but with more money. They made you do it...