Off work due to autistic burnout

Hi everyone,

I am on a secondment at work which means I have got a contract in my workplace in another department, however the secondment I am on is a 'taster' so to speak.

I was diagnosed as autistic this year (looking for an ADHD assessment as well!) So I sent my work amendments to my work place in May and still nothing has been put in place. I was assigned a mentor, however things have been very off and on and due to how busy work is, this person is juggling their own work load so I am sometimes not the first priority.

I was on annual leave for a week and came back to chaos! So many tasks at once, queries hadn't been answered even though a colleague of mine tried their best. I'm not even joking about 6 different tasks had deadlines of that day and it was just too much. I couldn't remember what I had said, what I had done and I was basically a cabbage because my brain just couldn't take the overload of tasks and expectations. I think this has been made worse by my annual Leave and the time of year at work but it doesn't help.

I sent an email to my leads explaining there were too many tasks for my brain to handle and they know I am autistic and they didn't even reply to my email. I understand people are busy however it was very disappointing.

I keep worrying that I would get penalised for taking time off work due to autistic burnout and I have PCOS which has caused me to have a period for a month straight and heavy at that. I have anxiety, depression, autism, possible ADHD, PTSD and BDD. Being on a secondment as well makes me worry that they will think I cannot do my job but I can! Just coming back from tha annual leave has really been too much.

They cannot penalise me for the autistic burnout and time off work can they?

Thanks x

Parents
  • HI if you are worried, you can contact Citizens Advice or even better search for any local disability advice centres : usually these will be in your city or nearest city to you. Also, it might be good to have a bit of counselling from a counsellor who has studied autistic in adults. And see your doctor . 

I knew someone who seemed neurotypical burn out at work and she took about 3 months out, her work supported her and were nice. The best thing to do is try to go a bit minimalistic in your life for a while for example on social media, maybe take a break from it etc, so that you have time to rest and relax and have some time for yourself to do things you like or just to even daydream, whatever you like to do. 

see how you can make things easy for you in your home while you are not at work so that when you go back you have less things to do at home for example so you can rest at home. 

It was not nice of your work to not respond to your email. Does your work have a HR team you could contact or a union? that could help you too. 

I hope you feel better soon, try to just take your time off slowly and relax as much as you can

• HI if you are worried, you can contact Citizens Advice or even better search for any local disability advice centres : usually these will be in your city or nearest city to you. Also, it might be good to have a bit of counselling from a counsellor who has studied autistic in adults. And see your doctor . 

I knew someone who seemed neurotypical burn out at work and she took about 3 months out, her work supported her and were nice. The best thing to do is try to go a bit minimalistic in your life for a while for example on social media, maybe take a break from it etc, so that you have time to rest and relax and have some time for yourself to do things you like or just to even daydream, whatever you like to do. 

see how you can make things easy for you in your home while you are not at work so that when you go back you have less things to do at home for example so you can rest at home. 

It was not nice of your work to not respond to your email. Does your work have a HR team you could contact or a union? that could help you too. 

I hope you feel better soon, try to just take your time off slowly and relax as much as you can

Children
No Data