Poor diet

Hello, my son is 6 years old and has world development delay and autism. He won’t eat a lot of food, I would like to ask  if anyone has any food recipes that I could offer my son. Thank you. 

Parents
  • It's really important to pay attention to biological digestion. How is his constitution? My grandmother would always say, Children will eat when they're hungry - it's more important not to force feed them. 

More often than not, Autistic Adults are coming forward and speaking about their undiagnosed health concerns with gut-health. Many of us follow the FODMAP diet as a base and then play around with what doesn't seem to cause added problems. For instance, I have an autistic friend who's a professor and sticks to it, especially minding inulin. I stick to it mostly but here's what I've eliminated: No brassicas (mustard family which includes rapeseed), No grains (except GF oats) and No legumes (including the peanut, which is not a nut). I get the type of fibre I need (as it's not the same) from fruits, seeds/true nuts, and the daisy family lettuces. 

We've both had near-death experiences with the inability to digest foods. He's axing all brassicas now as well, but he can't have dairy whereas I don't seem to have problems, though I do stick to full-fat and grass fed when possible.  

But what I've also found helpful is a nootropics blend with lions mane. Not only does it seem to lessen anxiety but also helps with digestion. 

If he's not allergic to eggs, I make amaretti cookies every other week and pop half in the freezer. Eggs, almond flour, date and coconut sugars with almond and vanilla extract. Sometimes I add cocoa powder and roll in powdered beet sugar before baking as sugar cane is a cereal grain. The secret is to whip the egg whites like merengue and pop the mix in the fridge an hour before baking. They're like a little doughnut!

I also make crepes with chestnut flour, milk, eggs and a bit of natural vanilla extract (vanilla is not a botanical bean but a seed). They're quite good if you throw a little melted cacao butter in the mix instead of oil. 

• It's really important to pay attention to biological digestion. How is his constitution? My grandmother would always say, Children will eat when they're hungry - it's more important not to force feed them. 

More often than not, Autistic Adults are coming forward and speaking about their undiagnosed health concerns with gut-health. Many of us follow the FODMAP diet as a base and then play around with what doesn't seem to cause added problems. For instance, I have an autistic friend who's a professor and sticks to it, especially minding inulin. I stick to it mostly but here's what I've eliminated: No brassicas (mustard family which includes rapeseed), No grains (except GF oats) and No legumes (including the peanut, which is not a nut). I get the type of fibre I need (as it's not the same) from fruits, seeds/true nuts, and the daisy family lettuces. 

We've both had near-death experiences with the inability to digest foods. He's axing all brassicas now as well, but he can't have dairy whereas I don't seem to have problems, though I do stick to full-fat and grass fed when possible.  

But what I've also found helpful is a nootropics blend with lions mane. Not only does it seem to lessen anxiety but also helps with digestion. 

If he's not allergic to eggs, I make amaretti cookies every other week and pop half in the freezer. Eggs, almond flour, date and coconut sugars with almond and vanilla extract. Sometimes I add cocoa powder and roll in powdered beet sugar before baking as sugar cane is a cereal grain. The secret is to whip the egg whites like merengue and pop the mix in the fridge an hour before baking. They're like a little doughnut!

I also make crepes with chestnut flour, milk, eggs and a bit of natural vanilla extract (vanilla is not a botanical bean but a seed). They're quite good if you throw a little melted cacao butter in the mix instead of oil. 

Children
No Data