Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training Learning Disability and Autism

Hello,

I am just completing the Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training Learning Disability and Autism training as I work in healthcare and also treat many neurodiverse people. I am also autistic myself.

I came across this statement in it and wondered what peoples opinions on it was.

Social communication can be challenging for people because of:

• taking things literally and not understanding abstract concepts
  • needing extra time to process information or answer questions
  • repeating what others say to them (this is called echolalia)

My feeling on this is the taking things literally is definitely true for the majority of us however I felt this is very different from our ability to understand abstract concepts, I do not think those two things are linked and this I personally do not feel this is the reason we take things literally. Many many autistic people are artists and poets and the very nature of this is centered on abstract concepts. I feel this inability to understand abstract concepts is not very accurate for a lot of autistics and just wanted to hear others thoughts and feelings on it. Abstract language, metaphors and sarcasm is completely different to abstract concepts.

Maybe its me just reading it too literally.

I have other thoughts on this training and I'd be interesting in any other autistic people's thought and feelings on this training if they have done it? WARNING for anyone who does have access to it as part of their job it is upsetting in parts.