Arfid?

I have really bad sensory issues around food which have got worse to the point I can only eat a few foods- even plain pasta isn’t an option because of the irregular texture. I have always relied on mostly beige and bland foods and mostly snack food. Not only is this annoying and can make me feel unwell but it causes a lot of insecurity around eating around people and general body image because it’s hard to eat healthy foods. 

when I was diagnosed i Was given information on Arfid but I’m not sure if it is that or just sensory issues from autism. Does anyone have similar experience?

Parents
  • There's definitely a lot of crossover and I'm not sure having the effects/symptoms of ARFID doesn't count as that just because it's rooted in autism. It's not a disease caused by a specific virus or anything; it can have any number of causes or presentations and still be that.

I'm currently going through treatment for ARFID but it's a different side from what you experience. To me it's my perception of the effects food will have on me after I've eaten it that makes me scared and avoid certain foods (or when things get really bad just stop eating entirely), but textures aren't a problem for me.

• There's definitely a lot of crossover and I'm not sure having the effects/symptoms of ARFID doesn't count as that just because it's rooted in autism. It's not a disease caused by a specific virus or anything; it can have any number of causes or presentations and still be that.

I'm currently going through treatment for ARFID but it's a different side from what you experience. To me it's my perception of the effects food will have on me after I've eaten it that makes me scared and avoid certain foods (or when things get really bad just stop eating entirely), but textures aren't a problem for me.

Children
No Data