Bad Diet

I don't know how to improve my diet. I only eat and drink sweet sugary things. The healthy stuff always tastes and smells wrong. I know the problem, but I don't know how to get around it.

Whenever I try new stuff my stomach hurts. It hurts anyway, usually aching or sharp pains even without food. I get a lot of burping and it always feels firm and tight. Going to the toilet is ok, hurts sometimes but I'm always getting yellow mucus. I practically live on antacids to ease this. And my stomach feels hungry a lot despite that I'm eating sweets throughout the day.

I'm guessing my poor diet is behind this? 

I keep fit. Do a lot of workouts and sport but my food and drink is all the wrong stuff. I just don't like anything else, I've always been like this with my diet.

I've thought of calling doctor's but it's not worth the emotional and mental strain. I can do phonecalls no problem but actually going to be checked out and have tests is now impossible. My anxiety explodes like a great big bomb and I'm destroyed, it can take months to recover from one appointment, if not longer.

I don't think there's acting seriously wrong. The yellow mucus isn't nice but there's no blood, no vomiting, just discomfort and burping. Sometimes nausea but not a lot.

If anyone else has this problem then any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks team. Thumbsup

Parents
  • Hi, It's probably a good idea to see a GP about this. However, I have a few ideas/thoughts. Only eating sweets won't fill you up because you are not having much protein or fibre. The sugar and carbs in the sweets you eat get digested and absorbed quickly so you will get spikes in your blood sugar too. 

It's quite normal to have a reaction when you introduce new foods into your diet again after having been on a limited diet- that doesn't mean you won't be fine eating those foods once you get used to them- but you are not used to them and your gut microbiome is likely also not very balanced because of a more limited diet. So I wouldn't be discouraged- what 'healthier' options have you been trying? I have been on very limited diets- I went through a phase where I only ate whole grain rolls, eggs, carrots and apple. then another phase where it was only pizza and tiramisu. Then another phase of only rice, cucumber, fish, avocado, apples, strawberries. Nothing else. the most recent phase was the egg/bread/carrot/apple one. Whenever I tried to change things I would feel nauseous, bloated stressed etc and off I would be back again to my pattern eventhough it wasn't good for me. I also have IBS so that doesn't help. But recently I have really expanded my diet and I now eat things I would never have dreamed off- the first 3-4 weeks I had a lot of digestive issues, nausea, bloating etc but I did get used to most foods and the digestive issues have settled a lot. Stress can still set them off but it is amazing how much variety I can tolerate. What helped me a lot is to rely on convenience options because the last thing I had energy to do was cook something that I had no idea if I would eat, like or be able to digest. I love a lot of the wraps they sell in the supermarket (chicken kimichi whole meal wrap from M and S is one of my favourites now - though I would never have dared to eat that a few months ago), then I go for a range of healthier ready meals- there are so many options that are also healthy. Or I go for ready roasted chicken or some falafel etc. To get going on expanding your diet I really think there is nothing wrong at all with going for these convenience - I initially was worried but my dietitian reassured me that you can have a very healthy diet without ever cooking. I went pretty much from 0 to 100 in terms of variety- no gradual change, but that's just because of how I work, I really struggle to make small changes as I will then always go back to my old habit as it's not worth the stress of making such a tiny change. But it might also be more gentle for your digestion if you start more slowly on introducing these foods. I don't know. I am glad I went for full diversity, I did have more digestive issues at first but it really was worth it- I am still trying new things and figuring out what I like- I didn't like everything I tried but it is exciting too. Also the first step is to really get those foods you want to try in the house- you have to make it as easy as possible- and also think as little as possible- at least for me- I initially felt this resistance at even buying anything new- but my moto was walk through supermarket, if I see something that grabs my attention, I go for it. And most of the time I did then end up trying it eventually. curiosity usually got the better of me especially once I got going on starting new things. 

I can also relate to just live off sweet things as I also had quite an awful phase where I lived almost entirely of cake... it wasn't good. Cake can be lovely but not if it's the main diet. I had a really hard time stopping that phase too though- I understand that cake and sweet things can be so simple and highly palatable. 

I can also highly recommend my dietitian- She has been an amazing support and has somehow really guided me to better understand the root cause of my issues with food- home | dalia weinreb (dalianutrition.com) . 

Don't loose hope- I would get it checked out with a GP but I am almost certain that you can enjoy and digest a much much wider variety of food than you think. 

• Hi, It's probably a good idea to see a GP about this. However, I have a few ideas/thoughts. Only eating sweets won't fill you up because you are not having much protein or fibre. The sugar and carbs in the sweets you eat get digested and absorbed quickly so you will get spikes in your blood sugar too. 

It's quite normal to have a reaction when you introduce new foods into your diet again after having been on a limited diet- that doesn't mean you won't be fine eating those foods once you get used to them- but you are not used to them and your gut microbiome is likely also not very balanced because of a more limited diet. So I wouldn't be discouraged- what 'healthier' options have you been trying? I have been on very limited diets- I went through a phase where I only ate whole grain rolls, eggs, carrots and apple. then another phase where it was only pizza and tiramisu. Then another phase of only rice, cucumber, fish, avocado, apples, strawberries. Nothing else. the most recent phase was the egg/bread/carrot/apple one. Whenever I tried to change things I would feel nauseous, bloated stressed etc and off I would be back again to my pattern eventhough it wasn't good for me. I also have IBS so that doesn't help. But recently I have really expanded my diet and I now eat things I would never have dreamed off- the first 3-4 weeks I had a lot of digestive issues, nausea, bloating etc but I did get used to most foods and the digestive issues have settled a lot. Stress can still set them off but it is amazing how much variety I can tolerate. What helped me a lot is to rely on convenience options because the last thing I had energy to do was cook something that I had no idea if I would eat, like or be able to digest. I love a lot of the wraps they sell in the supermarket (chicken kimichi whole meal wrap from M and S is one of my favourites now - though I would never have dared to eat that a few months ago), then I go for a range of healthier ready meals- there are so many options that are also healthy. Or I go for ready roasted chicken or some falafel etc. To get going on expanding your diet I really think there is nothing wrong at all with going for these convenience - I initially was worried but my dietitian reassured me that you can have a very healthy diet without ever cooking. I went pretty much from 0 to 100 in terms of variety- no gradual change, but that's just because of how I work, I really struggle to make small changes as I will then always go back to my old habit as it's not worth the stress of making such a tiny change. But it might also be more gentle for your digestion if you start more slowly on introducing these foods. I don't know. I am glad I went for full diversity, I did have more digestive issues at first but it really was worth it- I am still trying new things and figuring out what I like- I didn't like everything I tried but it is exciting too. Also the first step is to really get those foods you want to try in the house- you have to make it as easy as possible- and also think as little as possible- at least for me- I initially felt this resistance at even buying anything new- but my moto was walk through supermarket, if I see something that grabs my attention, I go for it. And most of the time I did then end up trying it eventually. curiosity usually got the better of me especially once I got going on starting new things. 

I can also relate to just live off sweet things as I also had quite an awful phase where I lived almost entirely of cake... it wasn't good. Cake can be lovely but not if it's the main diet. I had a really hard time stopping that phase too though- I understand that cake and sweet things can be so simple and highly palatable. 

I can also highly recommend my dietitian- She has been an amazing support and has somehow really guided me to better understand the root cause of my issues with food- home | dalia weinreb (dalianutrition.com) . 

Don't loose hope- I would get it checked out with a GP but I am almost certain that you can enjoy and digest a much much wider variety of food than you think. 

Children
No Data