What information do professionals have?

This might be one for the Moderators to look into, but I wonder if others have insight on this.

I've had several conversations recently with professionals dealing with adults on the spectrum who've just spouted the triad of impairments, or who've said its all in the triad of impairments.

With all the literature on theories about autism and various interpretations, and approaches to treatment, I could quite understand professionals looking for the easiest synthesis to hand.  But what is to hand? Is it just too easy to read up on the triad and related summaries? Or is there nothing else to hand for professionals to use.

The Triad of Impairments, as far as I can see, is of no more value than for diagnosing children. It has little relevance to the everyday lives and experiences of adults, and is hardly appropriate to helping professionals understand adult needs.

It doesn't explain a lot of issues facing adults.

But just what are the main texts used by professionals? And how useful are these texts for supporting adults?

Parents
  • Anil-A Mod, you were going to find out for me about the definition of autism based on the Triad of Impairments in the Push for Action leaflet - 27th August.

The Push for Action Campaign keeps messaging people to act on it, but trouble is if you already have you cannot do it again, and many people must be confused whether the publicity they get is a new stage, or still the original.

You say the Government is carrying out its own investigation but what part of that is a recent development?

We are supposed to be able to pursue matters with the Minister through the email address autism@dh.gsi.gov.uk according to Push for Action publicity. I tried this (copied to my MP) but didn't even get an acknowledgement. Is this email option still open?

I thought you said AskAutism was to educate professionals rather than answer our questions, I'm now confused.

And why is a thread about what professionals know about autism slightly off topic to what IntenseWorld asked?

The NAS campaign seems to have lost momentum, possibly because it needs to distinguish things more clearly.

• Anil-A Mod, you were going to find out for me about the definition of autism based on the Triad of Impairments in the Push for Action leaflet - 27th August.

The Push for Action Campaign keeps messaging people to act on it, but trouble is if you already have you cannot do it again, and many people must be confused whether the publicity they get is a new stage, or still the original.

You say the Government is carrying out its own investigation but what part of that is a recent development?

We are supposed to be able to pursue matters with the Minister through the email address autism@dh.gsi.gov.uk according to Push for Action publicity. I tried this (copied to my MP) but didn't even get an acknowledgement. Is this email option still open?

I thought you said AskAutism was to educate professionals rather than answer our questions, I'm now confused.

And why is a thread about what professionals know about autism slightly off topic to what IntenseWorld asked?

The NAS campaign seems to have lost momentum, possibly because it needs to distinguish things more clearly.

Children
No Data