What information do professionals have?

This might be one for the Moderators to look into, but I wonder if others have insight on this.

I've had several conversations recently with professionals dealing with adults on the spectrum who've just spouted the triad of impairments, or who've said its all in the triad of impairments.

With all the literature on theories about autism and various interpretations, and approaches to treatment, I could quite understand professionals looking for the easiest synthesis to hand.  But what is to hand? Is it just too easy to read up on the triad and related summaries? Or is there nothing else to hand for professionals to use.

The Triad of Impairments, as far as I can see, is of no more value than for diagnosing children. It has little relevance to the everyday lives and experiences of adults, and is hardly appropriate to helping professionals understand adult needs.

It doesn't explain a lot of issues facing adults.

But just what are the main texts used by professionals? And how useful are these texts for supporting adults?

Parents
  • Hi openheart,

Our campaigns team have seen your comments and have responded with this. I hope it helps. Admittedly it's taking this thread slightly off topic, so if need be we'll create a new thread.

Since the autism act and accompanying strategy came into force, we know that provision and support for adults with autism remains patchy.  Whilst we accept it takes time for local authorities to build the infrastructure to meet need, far too many adults still don't get the everyday support they need.    

If councils and NHS bodies are not doing the things they should be, people will be able to challenge them in court. Challenging councils and NHS bodies through the court, however, can be extremely difficult and expensive.  Therefore, if you are concerned that your local authority or health service is not doing what it should, then the most efficient way to bring about change is through our new campaign Push for Action. 

This year the Government must review the impact of the Autism Act, but can either choose to do this wholeheartedly or skirt over the issues we know exist.  We launched Push for Action to make sure they are committed to that task.  So it’s a positive start to hear they’ve now launched their own investigation.  This entails a series of consultation events, online survey and ongoing discussion both with the NAS and other autism organisations. 

Only through sustained pressure can we decision makers start taking action to meet address the problems people affected by autism routinely tell us exist. 

• Hi openheart,

Our campaigns team have seen your comments and have responded with this. I hope it helps. Admittedly it's taking this thread slightly off topic, so if need be we'll create a new thread.

Since the autism act and accompanying strategy came into force, we know that provision and support for adults with autism remains patchy.  Whilst we accept it takes time for local authorities to build the infrastructure to meet need, far too many adults still don't get the everyday support they need.    

If councils and NHS bodies are not doing the things they should be, people will be able to challenge them in court. Challenging councils and NHS bodies through the court, however, can be extremely difficult and expensive.  Therefore, if you are concerned that your local authority or health service is not doing what it should, then the most efficient way to bring about change is through our new campaign Push for Action. 

This year the Government must review the impact of the Autism Act, but can either choose to do this wholeheartedly or skirt over the issues we know exist.  We launched Push for Action to make sure they are committed to that task.  So it’s a positive start to hear they’ve now launched their own investigation.  This entails a series of consultation events, online survey and ongoing discussion both with the NAS and other autism organisations. 

Only through sustained pressure can we decision makers start taking action to meet address the problems people affected by autism routinely tell us exist. 

Children
No Data