What information do professionals have?

This might be one for the Moderators to look into, but I wonder if others have insight on this.

I've had several conversations recently with professionals dealing with adults on the spectrum who've just spouted the triad of impairments, or who've said its all in the triad of impairments.

With all the literature on theories about autism and various interpretations, and approaches to treatment, I could quite understand professionals looking for the easiest synthesis to hand.  But what is to hand? Is it just too easy to read up on the triad and related summaries? Or is there nothing else to hand for professionals to use.

The Triad of Impairments, as far as I can see, is of no more value than for diagnosing children. It has little relevance to the everyday lives and experiences of adults, and is hardly appropriate to helping professionals understand adult needs.

It doesn't explain a lot of issues facing adults.

But just what are the main texts used by professionals? And how useful are these texts for supporting adults?

Parents
  • Good points IntenseWorld, thanks

While I could have another try to get in on the professional forum I think the bigger issue is that those of us on the spectrum, and parents/carers, who use this community discussion group, do not get ANY information about the professionals' forum.

They can come in here as guests. We cannot go into ther forum as guests. We don't get told what they think about our discussions. More importantly we don't get told if they discuss any of the issues we initiate. And we don't get told what they are discussing. That's not fair play NAS!

Granted I might be reading too much into the significance of their discussions, particularly as reading what I can access elsewhere, they don't seem to be moving that fast in any direction that helps us.

What also shocks me is that they think we don't have opinions relevant to them (leastways that's my perception). They don't think they can learn from our insights into our own condition. That's pompous arrogance on their part if I'm perceiving their attitude accurately.

I know the NAS website offers a lot of guidance to benefit professionals, on many aspects including the impact of sensory overload.

What we don't know is whether professionals read this advice, or respect it for what it is. They don't appear to be learning from what NAS provides.

I feel NAS has a responsibility to find out whether professionals use the NAS guidelines, and if not why not? Otherwise what's the point?

And I do think it is time the professionals were more open, transparent and accountable.

Things need to change. 

• Good points IntenseWorld, thanks

While I could have another try to get in on the professional forum I think the bigger issue is that those of us on the spectrum, and parents/carers, who use this community discussion group, do not get ANY information about the professionals' forum.

They can come in here as guests. We cannot go into ther forum as guests. We don't get told what they think about our discussions. More importantly we don't get told if they discuss any of the issues we initiate. And we don't get told what they are discussing. That's not fair play NAS!

Granted I might be reading too much into the significance of their discussions, particularly as reading what I can access elsewhere, they don't seem to be moving that fast in any direction that helps us.

What also shocks me is that they think we don't have opinions relevant to them (leastways that's my perception). They don't think they can learn from our insights into our own condition. That's pompous arrogance on their part if I'm perceiving their attitude accurately.

I know the NAS website offers a lot of guidance to benefit professionals, on many aspects including the impact of sensory overload.

What we don't know is whether professionals read this advice, or respect it for what it is. They don't appear to be learning from what NAS provides.

I feel NAS has a responsibility to find out whether professionals use the NAS guidelines, and if not why not? Otherwise what's the point?

And I do think it is time the professionals were more open, transparent and accountable.

Things need to change. 

Children
No Data